Jan 11, 2022
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey folks,
So this winter my 2 season old liner decided to leak and I’m going to replace it.

What was installed was a swimline 21x 48/52 20 mil overlap liner. I’ve been told to go at least 25 mil but I’m seeing a 30 mil for sale too.

Another question is should I stick with overlap or if they have unibead should I get that?

Here are the ones I was looking at that were in stock at Walmart:

Or

If anyone has a better suggestion that’s helpful too!

Thanks!
-John

i like beaded liners, but you will need to buy bead receiver track if you don’t already have.

Reactions: Decoy205
Yeah I think the overlap just has the coping strip. I’m new to all this but I know it’s an overlap liner now so yeah I’d have to buy the bead track.

2 seasons is a really really short life for a liner so suggests bad water chemistry or poor quality liner. Beaded is definitely easier to replace if DIY (hopefully 5-7 years from now) but there are less design choices- weigh those factors, but you are pulling your top rail either way this round. All of your links seem to go to Boulder swirl which I love!

Thanks! Do you think 25 mil is enough? Or should I got the 30? If I get the unibead I’ll have to find the track too.

Any suggestion on where to buy or is Walmart fine?

I'd get 30 if you can find it in a design you like and cost isn't too much higher, but 25 is fine otherwise. Looks like that liner is sold by inyo pool just through Wal-Mart so I'd say it's fine. They are a pretty reputable company that has been around.

Thanks Paul! Im getting help this time from a service company but will post pics. I’m trying to think ahead for any issues that might arise. I ordered coping strips.

I’m thinking I should get gaskets as well for
The skimmer and supply lines?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely new gasket on the skimmer and any others if you have access that you would normally have.

Also take the opportunity to treat any rust and re-tape any spots you find with edges such as screw/ seems where the wall connects to itself.

I ended up DIYing my own liner replacement with the help of this forum and can't believe it was 7 years ago now. This should give you some insight into what you are in for.

Definitely new gasket on the skimmer and any others if you have access that you would normally have.

Also take the opportunity to treat any rust and re-tape any spots you find with edges such as screw/ seems where the wall connects to itself.

I ended up DIYing my own liner replacement with the help of this forum and can't believe it was 7 years ago now. This should give you some insight into what you are in for.

Wondering how your new liner install went? Did you say your last liner was from Swimline? Did they cover a certain % of the last liner with the warrantee and if not, why? I have had problems with my last 2 Swimline liners and so far they are not offering any warrantee help!!

This time around I got a whole new pool so hired out full installation. Liner was still in good condition from 2015 install, pool was very rusty though.

I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer of the liner I got back then was but the link is still good so maybe some details can be found there. Typically those warranties are worth almost nothing after a few years, like they will cover 20% of replacement cost after x years, but you have to pay full shipping rates or something equally onerous. Read the details to be sure but I don't recall any reports on this forum of anyone filing for and being satisfied with warranty claim. It's usually not worth the trouble for liners, winter covers, solar covets, etc.

We opted for the new pool this year as well once we realized our current pool was 34 years old. I contracted out the build as we are doing permits. I’m told they passed yesterday and the build date is scheduled for 7/11. Fingers crossed. I will do a post on my pool saga soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.