Help - replacing easytouch parts!

daddyslim6

Aug 12, 2020
Dallas Ga
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our Easytouch 8 board appears to be fried. Our pool guy came out and said we need a new transformer (Pentair 521082) and motherboard (Pentair 520657). I’m fairly handy and would like to try and do it myself. He wants $100 a hour to do it but said he thinks I could do it since I’ve done a lot of work on our pool myself already. It seems like an unhook, plug and play into new parts but don’t want to jack it up.

I can’t find a YouTube vid on how to do it. Do you guys have any links or info on easiest way to replace it other than take pictures of original and then switch it out?

And is there an order in which we should do it? Not sure if both are fried so thought I would replace transformer first and see if the original motherboard powered up but that might not be best method. Thank you all for your expertise! Love this forum!!

Dad,

I suspect that I have been doing this "stuff' long before you were born, based on your pic... :mrgreen:

In all that time, I can count on one hand the number of bad power transformers that I have seen... They do not normally go bad unless they are installed wrong and then they go bad in about 5 seconds. I suspect that your transformer is good. But, I've been wrong many times before, just saying...

Tell me why you think your ET board is bad.. "Fried" does not tell me anything, unless you can actually see burned components. What does not work?? What did you call your pool guy to fix??

Do you have a voltmeter of some kind? If so, we can check out the transformer..

Let me know,

Jim R.

Hey ddslim,
I do want to hear your answers to Jim's questions first, but you can do a basic go/no go test on the outdoor board - without using the transformer - if you've got a 12v power supply kicking around (ac to DC adapter, or even a car battery would work)... 12v won't run the relays or the valves, but if the board boots up then there's a good chance it's ok.

I show how I power these boards without the system transformer here: Powering a Pentair Easytouch or Intellitouch controller

-Tom

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Dad,

I suspect that I have been doing this "stuff' long before you were born, based on your pic... :mrgreen:

In all that time, I can count on one hand the number of bad power transformers that I have seen... They do not normally go bad unless they are installed wrong and then they go bad in about 5 seconds. I suspect that your transformer is good. But, I've been wrong many times before, just saying...

Tell me why you think your ET board is bad.. "Fried" does not tell me anything, unless you can actually see burned components. What does not work?? What did you call your pool guy to fix??

Do you have a voltmeter of some kind? If so, we can check out the transformer..

Let me know,

Jim R.

Thanks for your quick response Jim! That is actually my wife and son in the pic! Wish I was still that young. Haha!

Over the 3 summers we have had our pool, our breaker trips occasionally but I have always just reset it and everything comes right back on. I noticed about two weeks ago our pump was off and went to go reset the breaker and it wouldn't reset. I looked at the display board on the ET8 and there was nothing on the screen, no lights or anything. I could smell a "burnt" smell so I turned off all the breakers just to be safe and took the board apart to see if I could see anything burnt. There was nothing visible to see at the top of the ET board where the motherboard and display are located but that is where I smelled the "burnt" smell.

I took off the bottom section of the ET board where the breakers and everything is wired up and nothing was there either. So I called a pool company who we have used in the past to come check things out. He said he couldn't visually see anything either but said the transformer and the motherboard weren't communicating and suggested we replace both of them. He quoted us right at $2k to replace both. Being slightly handy (not necessarily in electrical work) I researched the parts, ordered those myself for half the cost and figured I could replace them myself.

I do have a voltage meter, but honestly never used one before and not real sure how it works! Here is the one I ordered.....

I appreciate your expertise and advice!

Hey ddslim,
I do want to hear your answers to Jim's questions first, but you can do a basic go/no go test on the outdoor board - without using the transformer - if you've got a 12v power supply kicking around (ac to DC adapter, or even a car battery would work)... 12v won't run the relays or the valves, but if the board boots up then there's a good chance it's ok.

I show how I power these boards without the system transformer here: Powering a Pentair Easytouch or Intellitouch controller

-Tom
Thanks for getting back to me. I responded to Jim above.

I do have a voltage meter but not 100% sure how the heck to use them!! Dooh! Here is the one I ordered -

Appreciate all your help and advice!

Thanks for getting back to me. I responded to Jim above.

I do have a voltage meter but not 100% sure how the heck to use them!! Dooh! Here is the one I ordered -

Appreciate all your help and advice!
Thanks for your quick response Jim! That is actually my wife and son in the pic! Wish I was still that young. Haha!

Over the 3 summers we have had our pool, our breaker trips occasionally but I have always just reset it and everything comes right back on. I noticed about two weeks ago our pump was off and went to go reset the breaker and it wouldn't reset. I looked at the display board on the ET8 and there was nothing on the screen, no lights or anything. I could smell a "burnt" smell so I turned off all the breakers just to be safe and took the board apart to see if I could see anything burnt. There was nothing visible to see at the top of the ET board where the motherboard and display are located but that is where I smelled the "burnt" smell.

I took off the bottom section of the ET board where the breakers and everything is wired up and nothing was there either. So I called a pool company who we have used in the past to come check things out. He said he couldn't visually see anything either but said the transformer and the motherboard weren't communicating and suggested we replace both of them. He quoted us right at $2k to replace both. Being slightly handy (not necessarily in electrical work) I researched the parts, ordered those myself for half the cost and figured I could replace them myself.

I do have a voltage meter, but honestly never used one before and not real sure how it works! Here is the one I ordered.....

I appreciate your expertise and advice!

By the way, the pool guy was able to get the pool pump up and running so it's getting power from somewhere, assuming that's powered by the ET board. My SWG is powered on as well. However, nothing is on the display on the ET. I took the top panel off again the other day and still smelled a slight burnt smell. There is no power to the lights or the spa though!

It makes no sense to repair your EasyTouch for $2,000.

You can get a complete upgrade kit for your EasyTouch to make it an IntelliCenter for $1,000...

IntelliTouch/EasyTouch To IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit - i10PS
For Systems manufactured after 2012
Upgrade your Pentair EasyTouch or Pentair IntelliTouch to the new Pentair IntelliCenter.
IntelliCenter Upgrade kit includes:
  • Outdoor control panel
  • i10P / i10PS / i10D personality board, shared equipment (board depends on P/N ordered)
  • 4 AMP and 5 AMP circuit breakers
  • System transformer
  • Wireless antenna kit

Dad,

If you already have the new parts, and most likely can't return them, then it is almost a waste of time to do any troubleshooting.

I suggest that you replace the main card first and see if the display comes back on..

I agree with Allen that it does not make a lot of sense to spend more money on the fixing the EasyTouch....

Thanks,

Jim R.

It makes no sense to repair your EasyTouch for $2,000.

You can get a complete upgrade kit for your EasyTouch to make it an IntelliCenter for $1,000...

IntelliTouch/EasyTouch To IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit - i10PS
For Systems manufactured after 2012
Upgrade your Pentair EasyTouch or Pentair IntelliTouch to the new Pentair IntelliCenter.
IntelliCenter Upgrade kit includes:
  • Outdoor control panel
  • i10P / i10PS / i10D personality board, shared equipment (board depends on P/N ordered)
  • 4 AMP and 5 AMP circuit breakers
  • System transformer
  • Wireless antenna kit

Hmmmmmm - What's the difference between the two? I have already ordered the motherboard and the transformer, but pretty sure I can return them.

Dad,

If you already have the new parts, and most likely can't return them, then it is almost a waste of time to do any troubleshooting.

I suggest that you replace the main card first and see if the display comes back on..

I agree with Allen that it does not make a lot of sense to spend more money on the fixing the EasyTouch....

Thanks,

Jim R.

You're the man! I will work on replacing the main card first and let you know how it goes! Fingers crossed!!! Hope you all have a blessed day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmmmmm - What's the difference between the two? I have already ordered the motherboard and the transformer, but pretty sure I can return them.
  • Built in networking - no more Screenlogic and Protocal Adapter add ons
  • Over the Air Firmware updates and support
  • EasyTouch is obsolete according to Pentair and parts will get scarce over time
  • Outdoor color touch screen for programming and controls
  • Supports new Pentair features such as the "Connected Heater" and maybe someday the Intellivalve

Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:

• July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems
We recognize these products have been in high demand for many years. However, given advancements in Pentair innovation and evolving industry demands, we are transitioning focus to the latest technology standards included with the IntelliCenter Pool Control System.

Pentair FAQ:

What control system should I order?
The recently updated IntelliCenter and IntelliCenter Lite Control Systems are the flagship automation products at Pentair, with both systems offering best-in-class technology and the most versatile control for most pool types.

Will warranties still be honored for my customers’ existing control system?
Warranty and replacement parts will be honored as available per our standard warranty policy. For more information, please review the EasyTouch and IntelliTouch FAQs.

Will obsolete products continue to be supported?
Products moved to obsolete status will continue to be supported under warranty. Pentair will replace legacy systems under warranty with comparable equipment while parts are available. If replacement parts are unavailable for existing systems under warranty, the IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit for EasyTouch, EasyTouch PL4/PSL4, and IntelliTouch systems may be required.

• Built in networking - no more Screenlogic and Protocal Adapter add ons
  • Over the Air Firmware updates and support
  • EasyTouch is obsolete according to Pentair and parts will get scarce over time
  • Outdoor color touch screen for programming and controls
  • Supports new Pentair features such as the "Connected Heater" and maybe someday the Intellivalve

Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:

• July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems
We recognize these products have been in high demand for many years. However, given advancements in Pentair innovation and evolving industry demands, we are transitioning focus to the latest technology standards included with the IntelliCenter Pool Control System.

Pentair FAQ:

What control system should I order?
The recently updated IntelliCenter and IntelliCenter Lite Control Systems are the flagship automation products at Pentair, with both systems offering best-in-class technology and the most versatile control for most pool types.

Will warranties still be honored for my customers’ existing control system?
Warranty and replacement parts will be honored as available per our standard warranty policy. For more information, please review the EasyTouch and IntelliTouch FAQs.

Will obsolete products continue to be supported?
Products moved to obsolete status will continue to be supported under warranty. Pentair will replace legacy systems under warranty with comparable equipment while parts are available. If replacement parts are unavailable for existing systems under warranty, the IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit for EasyTouch, EasyTouch PL4/PSL4, and IntelliTouch systems may be required.

Thanks for all the info! I have the Screenlogic as well, so guess I will stick with what I got for now.

Reactions: ogdento
Thanks for all the info! I have the Screenlogic as well, so guess I will stick with what I got for now.

Do what you wish but I will point out you are just throwing money into an obsolete system that will cost more to maintain over time. Sooner or later you will need to do the IntelliCenter upgrade.

Replacing your PA alone will run $400-$500.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.