Help replacing diverter valve

jjmac

Mar 19, 2015
Allen, Texas
I had a busted check valve and I went to start replacing it and noticed the diverter valve next to it also has a big crack. So I need to replace it too, but I have two questions.

One, how does one go about replacing the valve when there's basically no room to work with as far as pvc pipe is concerned? See the pictures, there's only about a quarter inch of pipe between the other connections.

Two, I have a valve actuator that works fine, but my actuator has a female connection so I need to buy a diverter valve with a male connection. But all of the ones I saw on amazon were the opposite, there was a male connection on the actuator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 30
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 33
One, how does one go about replacing the valve when there's basically no room to work with as far as pvc pipe is concerned? See the pictures, there's only about a quarter inch of pipe between the other connections.

Backup on the pipe until you find the best place to connect to and repipe from there. You didn't show good pics of the entire pipe run.

Two, I have a valve actuator that works fine, but my actuator has a female connection so I need to buy a diverter valve with a male connection. But all of the ones I saw on amazon were the opposite, there was a male connection on the actuator.

All diverters are the same with a male stem the actuator or handle sits onto. All actuators are the same with a female hole for the diverter stem on the bottom and a stem on the top for the handle.

Post a link to what you are looking at that confuses you.

Backup on the pipe until you find the best place to connect to and repipe from there. You didn't show good pics of the entire pipe run.

All diverters are the same with a male stem the actuator or handle sits onto. All actuators are the same with a female hole for the diverter stem on the bottom and a stem on the top for the handle.

Post a link to what you are looking at that confuses you.

Ahh I see, I was confused by photos on amazon. I was seeing the stem on top for the handle and thinking it was reversed, thanks for clearing that up.

I've attached some more photos of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_192348342.jpg
    IMG_20200321_192348342.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200321_192354926.jpg
    IMG_20200321_192354926.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200321_192358064.jpg
    IMG_20200321_192358064.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 23
Thank the installer for a nice tight plum job. You have two options.

The best route is to cut back where there is some length and replace everything back to it.

There other way is to buy the pipe bore things that reem out the PVC coller back to what is was then you reglue a new fitting in it. Not s great deal and is up to the skill and experience of the wingnut doing the job.

I ended up removing the old pvc from the fittings using a combination of the methods from this video:

The first one was tough. Started off heating up a 2" hole saw and just putting it inside... It didn't really get it hot enough, had to torch it directly and really work it out. Learned from my mistakes and the second one was much smoother. I cut 4 grooves first, put the hole saw inside, and torched the hole saw directly. Those sections came out very easily.

Put it all back together and so far so good. Worst case scenario is it starts leaking and I have to replace everything anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: griffths

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.