Help programming Jacuzzi jvs1651s pump

bob22

Sep 1, 2008
Philadelphia
Daughter's pool (~24,000 gallons, plaster, in-ground) has a 1-yr old Jacuzzi variable speed pump (model #: jvs1651s, a 1.65 THP variable speed) into a Jacuzzi DE filter (jde48).
I helped them open the pool this year and making sure filtering is set up right has me stumped.

The pool installer did not instruct them on how to set up the pump and internet has been of no help to me. Installer also did not do a very good job and there is no way I'd have them back.
I think it needs to be run about 5-6 hours pumping at 72 gpm for turnover but I only see rpms for the pump and not gpm.
Any idea at which of 4 speed settings and for how long:
Speed 1: 1150 rpm
Speed 2: 1725 rpm
Speed 3: 2300 rpm
Speed 4: 2875 rpm

Thanks!
Bob

Turnover should not be a consideration in how long or speed you run the pump...

You need to run the speeds and times that her pool needs for chlorination, heating, and skimming.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ajw22, ok on no need for 100% turnover. Then how are those speeds and times determined for chlorination?
The idea behind a VSP is that it will be used at a lower speed for a long time (not 5-6 hours) to get the best water quality and energy savings. Many run theirs for 24hrs, at a high enough speed to skim for a few hours and then slow to circulate the chemicals and "polish" the water, it all depends on the pool.

Is there a SWG installed? They require a certain flow in order to operated and only chlorinate when the pump is running. What that speed is is different on virtually all pools as the plumbing/equipment is different.

Yes; SWG installed.
"What that speed is is different on virtually all pools as the plumbing/equipment is different."
So, as this pump etc... were not original equipment, how would a new system be set up?
Suggestions so far seem to rely upon rather vague objectives candidly.

Suggestions so far seem to rely upon rather vague objectives candidly.

The objective is for all the devices on your pool to work.

Whatever speeds give you good filtering, skimming, heating, and chlorination for whatever times your pool needs are good speeds.

Some trial and error will allow you to discover the best speeds for your pool.

AJw22, I see you've >42k responses.
Not to be ungrateful, but I was hoping for a more instructive response than I'll "discover". Given the wide range of possible run times and speeds, that could be a lengthy pass/fail process.

AJw22, I see you've >42k responses.
Not to be ungrateful, but I was hoping for a more instructive response than I'll "discover". Given the wide range of possible run times and speeds, that could be a lengthy pass/fail process.
Really shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes. Find a speed that will allow the skimmer to skim. Add 10% for a dirty filter. Run that for 2-3 hours. Should never have to be 100%.
Find a much lower speed that will operate your SWG. Add 10% for a dirty filter. Run that a very long time. That's the whole purpose of a VSP, long slow runs that filter, allow for chemical circulation (and production with a SWG), and save considerably on energy cost. While your pump has many timers available, you usually won't need more than two.
Can't really expect more from "diagnosis at a distance," sight unseen. Your yard conditions, additional equipment (pool cleaner?), etc., all play into what YOUR pool requires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.