Help Priming Pump at Opening - Pump Far Away and Higher

Contentt

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2018
Vienna, VA
I started opening myself last year and getting the pump to prime was tough. This year I'm having the same prime the pump challenge, so thought I would look for suggestions.

The pump is about 75' from the skimmer, and probably about 2-3" higher in elevation from the pool. The spa is much closer and I had no challenges priming this year. In the attached picture of the pool, the equipment in back left next to the house. I've removed all the plugs and raised the water level. There is a check valve right in front of the pump, I'm wondering if that is helping or hurting me. First prime attempts didn't work, so then I tried removing the check valve and filling the pipe with water until it stopped going in and then put the check valve back. Still no luck. I guess I could have tried priming without the check valve?

I also read about moving the spa/pool diverter valve back and forth to try and get air out of lines and pull water up the pipe, but no luck. Although I feel like that trick helped last year.

Priming the pump during the normal season is never this challenging. It seems to only happen when I open. I'm guessing the long run to the skimmer is not helping me.

Attached pics of my setup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 6
Pretty easy on your challenger pump to place a valve on the strainer drain. Then connect a NPT to hose thread adapter. Hook up your hose and turn on the water, then open the vavle to fill the strainer/pump. Next turn on pump. It should be primed within one minute. If i ever have a problem with my challenger this works every time. Just don't for get to close the vavle on the strainer when you get it primed.

Reactions: Texas Splash
"C", since this seems to be a regular routine each opening, I suspect that long run is a major player. Being elevated I'm guessing some of it runs back to the pool until you get a good air seal in the system with full prime. Other than pushing water into the lines as much as you can, you might have to keep a couple 5-gal buckets near the pump. Pull for a few seconds, refill the pot quickly, pull, refill, and repeat a few times. Maybe that will help get you over the "air-hump". :) If that doesn't help, I know some pumps simply need more time to fill that suction line. Not sure how long you are pulling dry, but it may take a full minute or two.

Thanks for the ideas! I was pulling air, or a trickle of water, well over a 2 minutes. So I started playing with the check valve that sits right before the pump, I took it off and filled the pipe with a lot of water and sure enough I got the pump to prime right away. On inspection the check valve is pretty old and the rubber seal is cracked. I think it helps so I'm going to get a new one, but seems odd that I was able to prime the pump without it so easily. Maybe I don't need it, but the length and elevation suggests I should use one, I think...

Thanks for the ideas! I was pulling air, or a trickle of water, well over a 2 minutes. So I started playing with the check valve that sits right before the pump, I took it off and filled the pipe with a lot of water and sure enough I got the pump to prime right away. On inspection the check valve is pretty old and the rubber seal is cracked. I think it helps so I'm going to get a new one, but seems odd that I was able to prime the pump without it so easily. Maybe I don't need it, but the length and elevation suggests I should use one, I think...
Sorry for hijacking your thread. But, have you replaced the check valve? If so what was the result? I am having a similar problem.

Wow I never saw this reply/question. I did replace the check valve but found the real problem was a small air leak right at the pump connection near the check valve. Replaced the pipe and no longer need the check valve at all.