HELP Pool Returns and Circulation!

Pajamas

Jun 10, 2023
Ontario
I am installing a 12' x 27' x 5' vinyl liner pool and need advice on water circulation. My PB provided the following schematic, to which I added our water feature wall (will not remain on all the time). There is no main drain.

1) Skimmer:
  • Is one sufficient for my size of pool?
  • As drawn, the skimmer is out of site lines from the rest of the back yard and opposite the water falls, but it is not facing the prevailing winds..
2) Returns:
  • Assuming the indicated returns are close to the surface, can I get away with simply adding a deep return one of the unused corners and directing in the same clockwise current?
  • Would it be better to have two shallow returns and one deep, or vice versa?
  • Will the return drawn near the stairs be sufficient to clean the stairs or should the be an additional return closer to them?
I appreciate any insights!

pool.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is one skimmer is never sufficient. I would put a second skimmer opposite the existing one where you have a return.

Then I would put a return on the other side of the water wall. And put a return on the side of the steps.

Your water flow will then be from the shallow side returns to the deep side skimmers.

An alternative is put the skimmers on both sides of your water wall. That will place the skimmers into the prevailing winds. Put 3 returns along the opposite wall.

Reactions: Pajamas
Hi and welcome to TFP!

The first thing I want to touch on is the depth of your pool. I love a good sport/play/float pool like you are planning BUT (bet you knew that was coming huh?) 5' is not a good depth for someone like me. I am a 5'5" female. A 5' water depth hits me right around my chin meaning there would be no way I could walk around in a 5' pool comfortable.

Saying that I see that your PB is saying it is 5' from the top of the pool to the bottom so the 5' is not water depth. Water depth would be from the middle of the skimmer opening to the bottom of the pool. If that is the case it might be okay.

Me? I would have a chat with your PB to ask him what your overall WATER depth will be and go from there. Use a tape measure on the shortest adult in the family to see where the water would hit them and go from there.

-skimmers-I would have 2 skimmers making sure they are each plumbed separately to the equipment pad. That way is something goes wrong with one of the line down the road or if one skimmer gets full of stuff the other one can see do the work.

Thank you all for your replies! It seems the resounding consensus is two skimmers. To that end, I've drawn the permutations suggested adding deep vs. shallow returns.. to me layout A seems like it should encourage the most effective flow?

pool2.jpg

Kimkats - I'm glad you brought up depth because it's another aspect I've been contemplating. The water line is indeed 6" lower (perhaps I should have specified 4.5' water depth). Even with this, I'm on the fence between flat bottom vs. wedge. Ie. 3.5' or 4' water depth at the bottom of the stairs, very gradually deepening to 4.5' water depth over the remaining length of the pool (~21').

My main consideration is that we have young children (3 and 1). I'm sure for a few years the stairs will remain their playground and we will be floating them around the rest of the pool. I don't want them to shy away from the pool during their "middle" years, as they grow older and become a little more independent but are still too small to touch the bottom. With this said, we have heard others say "kids grow up fast" and suggest we stick with a flat bottom for the most utility. Any thoughts????

The prevailing winds overpower any steering effect from returns.

B gets both skimmers in the majority of the prevailing winds.

With A or C you will end up with surface debris stuck in the shallow end when the winds are blowing that way.

We have a 11x29 with a play bottom and three steps like yours that goes from 3.5’ on sides to 5.5’ in middle. I will say I was surprised how steep the two sides are to get down the play bottom —- in retrospect after cutting the steps off the 29’ length and then dividing the remaining part in thirds left us with a steeper than expected slope that you can feel as your walking. Also where the volloeyball net goes across the middle the players can’t effectively stand near the net yet as it’s chin height.

I would seriously consider a flatter bottom for us if we had a do-over. Just my 2 c….

Also +1 on the two skimmers….

Ps - make sure the two skimmers are plumbed in parallel not in series, otherwise one skimmer will always be dominant. (My other do-over wish)

we have heard others say "kids grow up fast" and suggest we stick with a flat bottom for the most utility. Any thoughts????
Build for the future. Not being able touch will only be a couple of years where being able to touch will be MANY years. I say flat bottom with volley ball net poles in the middle. I also want you to check out the "watermelon ball". It is the funnest game out there for the pool!

I am going to throw another idea at you.........ready??

a L shaped pool with the "foot being the steps and 4' area for the above games and the leg being 7' or so feet deep for diving and cannon balls. To me it is the best of both worlds-play and deep diving!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.