Help, Please

You want to listen to these people here and stay away from the pool store. Buy a good test kit, I bought the Taylor 2006. When we moved into our new house the pool was green. I went to pool stores and got the same advice as you. Three weeks later there was no difference. I found this site, bought a test kit and started a slam. It's been around 15 days and the water is blue and cloudy. Hoping it will turn clear soon. If you have a Rural King near you they have bleach for $1 a gallon.

I found this site when my pool turned cloudy, not green yet, but cloudy. I started following the TFPC method and did a SLAM. The results were amazing. Now I have everything set properly, my SWG runs the bare minimum to keep my FC at the appropriate level, and only have to vacuum the pool about once or twice a week. I can tell what my test results will be within 1ppm before even performing the test.
See before and after pics below:
bug cloudy.jpg
bug comp.jpg

I have NEVER been in a pool store!

Hi NETWizz and welcome to TFP,
Here is one of my experiences with my newly acquired pool, I had never owned one before. I spent over a $1000 in 2 weeks trying to clear a pool, then found TFP, ordered a kit but wanted to get started before kit arrived so I took sample to good old pool store, they said PH was too High (do not remember # now) was told to add 5# of dry acid to bring it down to 7.2. But I was smart (or so I thought) I could use poolmath to double check poolstore, and surely a poolstore could get PH correct (or so I thought). So when I checked poolmath using poolstore test result, it told me to add half of what poolstore told me, so I did. Low and behold the next day TFP-100 came (only took a day and a half). Measured my ph and it was 6.8 which is lowest the scale will read (probably in the 5s, I have not done the math to calculate). Too make a long story short took me 2 days and 8# of borax to correct my mistake. So relying on poolstore tests is a shot in the dark. After that I tried a little experiment and took a sample to 3 different stores got the tests done within 1.5 hrs of taking sample, none of them were the same and did not correlate to TFP-100. 2 of the stores were Leslie's so they had same equipment. Try it yourself. So the correct kit is of prime importance, too much chlorine can damage equipment, too little algae will keep growing (there are also many other problems with bad chemistry in the pool). My conclusion is that my ph was probably ok in the first place and poolstore's recommendation took it way low which could have damaged equipment, in your case it could damage the surface. You may be able to use the pucks if your CYA is truly low but if you add conditioner and your CYA is too high you will probably need to do a water exchange which means draining a significant portion of water and refilling (note draining incorrectly can also cause major damage). I say all of this to educate you on why everyone is so adamant on you getting a proper kit ASAP. It is in your best interest and the TF-100 is your best bang for your buck as you will learn if you follow TFP. After my 2 weeks and $1000 at poolstore I turned my cesspool into a sparkling clear pool in a week less than $100, 2 of those days correcting ph problem poolstore gave me. Best of luck I hope my experience helps you not make similar mistakes.

I went swimming last night in my pool, and I think something is terribly wrong with the water. My eyes started itching horribly last night and worse this morning.

This happened to my eyes.

Instead of rubbing, I ended up going to my eye Doctor today because I could not stand it any-longer... cost me $22 (after insurance) and $9 for a prescription for Tobradex, which is basically antibiotic/steroid eye drops.

That's right. I am 32 years old and for the first time in my life I have pink eye. Does anyone think this may be from getting green pool water in my eyes?

OH NO! It could be caused by it :( I am not sure though.

I am too lazy to go back through your thread. What was your PH and TA before you started the SLAM?

I say no more underwater swimming until your water is clear and balanced please!

Kim

Hi NETWizz! So sorry to hear about your eye issues! I know nothing about pink eye, but I'm sure that swimming in green water did not help matters.

Please listen to the good people on this board. They know what they are talking about. I know it is a bit confusing, and in fact, I am still somewhat confused at times. But I have been following the advice on this board for 5 years now since we first built our pool, and I have never once had to SLAM the pool! I am fastidious about my chemical levels and my water has always been sparkling clean! The only things I use are muriatic acid to bring down the ph levels, baking soda to occasionally raise my TA, bleach in the winter when my salt water chlorine generator is not actively working and the very rare addition of CYA, calcium hardener and salt. All of these thing can be found at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot. The pool stores will fleece you if you let them.

I bought the TFT kit 5 years ago and have been doing my own testing ever since. I've become such an expert in testing that is is hard to hold my tongue when I happen into a pool store and hear them advising the other customers to buy their unnecessary chemicals. And my husband will tell you that I RARELY hold my tongue!

Good luck with your pool and I hope your eyes clear up quickly!

Did you order your test kit yet?

I would NOT swim in a pool that I didn't know was sanitary. Period.

I am sorry about your conjunctivitis. I have never heard of it coming from chlorine. Unsanitary pools? Maybe. More likely a grocery cart....... Nasty contagious stuff.

Your PH and TA need to be raised asap. Between the levels being off and "stuff" being in the pool you had a set up for bad stuff and your eyes took the brunt of it.

Now I do NOT know for sure that your pool water caused it. A shopping cart could have been the "carrier" as Marian suggested.

For now stay out of the water please.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PLEASE TELL US YOU HAVE A TEST KIT ON ORDER.

pH increase would be borax or washing soda usually, but baking soda/alkalinity up will raise pH a tad. Just add a cup or a cup and a half.

We cannot keep guessing how to help you until you get a recommended test kit. Really. It's like shooting in the dark.

Although this is generic (i.e. not Taylor brand), it will work right with my Taylor kit right?

TFTestkits.net

As for the CYA, I can't imagine doing that test more than maybe twice a week, and I have a brand-new, full bottle on the way in my Taylor kit 2006A kit. I would imagine being how much more often I will check the chlorine, the CYA test should last a LOT longer than the chlorine test.

Everything you see on the TF web site are Taylor products simply packaged in more convenient/economical ways. You actually get a better value with the TF web site.

From the Pool School - Test Kits Compared
The TFTestkits use Taylor reagents....the reagent numbers are interchangeable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.