Likwid82

Jan 23, 2024
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Recently had our pool company install a new Pentair MasterTemp 150 to replace a 20 year old heater and was excited to add on a Pentair Intelliconnect for easy pool temp monitoring. Currently winter here in NJ, so we've kept the Intelliconnect in Service mode and nothing has been running. Separate water temp sensor installed which keeps track of current water temp very accurately (even if there's no water flowing currently, it's always within 1 or 2 degrees of the air sensor reading, which comes from real time data.)

I noticed last week that the water temp had stayed at the same temp for 7 days straight, which was quite odd since the air temp had fluctuated +/- 20 degrees. I flip the breaker for the entire system for a few minutes, turn it back on, and it kicks in with the new, correct, water temp, so the sensor is definitely measuring correctly. It seems like now the water temp is still not updating in real time, and needs to have the power shut off and turned back on to update the water temp.

Anyone run into this problem? Not sure if it's the water sensor or the Intelliconnect not pushing real time water temp updates🤔 It had worked initially, even in service mode, and would constantly update the water temp, but it now it needs a full restart every time.

Link light and service light are solid green, so the connection is good.IMG_20240128_092611.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_092553.jpg
    IMG_20240128_092553.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Most people do not leave their automation powered and monitoring their water temperature sensor while their pool is closed in freezing weather. Thank you for conducting the experiment.

My WAG is the water sensor has some water frozen in it or around it.

Use your multimeter and measure the resistance of the sensor at different temperatures and see if it is changing and responding compared to what is being reported on your app.

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Welcome to TFP.

Most people do not leave their automation powered and monitoring their water temperature sensor while their pool is closed in freezing weather. Thank you for conducting the experiment.

My WAG is the water sensor has some water frozen in it or around it.

Use your multimeter and measure the resistance of the sensor at different temperatures and see if it is changing and responding compared to what is being reported on your app.

10K_thermistor_chart.png
Thanks for the helpful info @ajw22 always good to see another Northern NJer! The MasterTemp and Intelliconnect had been installed after the pool was professionally closed for the season, so there shouldn't be any water in the pipes, water sensor should just literally be picking up air in there. The problem isn't that the water sensor isn't reading the right temp, the system just isn't pushing an updated temp reading until i flip the breaker on and off. I know it's a bit pointless to have it on during the winter, I was just so excited to play around with this system. It works really well for a pool without a lot of bells and whistles!

What should be and what is are often two different things.

You can call Pentair Support. There are many things about their networking and app that they keep secret.

Reactions: Likwid82
Just thinking outside the box. If this is made to be in the water it may not read correctly when in the air.
Same sensor is used for both air and water temperature in pool automation. They are all the same.

Reactions: Likwid82
After taking @ajw22 's advice, I contacted Pentair directly. They let me know that my Intelliconnect needed an OTA update, which they can push remotely. Just need to physically switch the system from SERVICE to AUTO mode to accept the update. Will report back once I get the update. Hopefully that resolves this problem.

Reactions: wireform