Help! New pool owner

Well you will not need to add any chlorine for a little while LOL.

Did you test for CC? If not please do so and report.

PH-do not test for PH when FC is over 10. You will get false readings.

CYA-call it 40. We round this one up.

What kind of pool do you have? plaster, vinyl Please put that in your siggy as well. (THANKS for filling that out!)

How does your water look today?

:hug: you are doing it! Was it fun to do the tests?

Kim:cat:
Thank you! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From the pictures, looks like she has a vinyl pool. (Edit: Sorry, looks like this post came in a bit late - hopefully it still helps)

Ok, so looks like your FC is 23. That's a bit high.

Based on a CYA of 40, you want an FC of
16 while you're trying to kill the algae. So stop adding chlorine for now, and continue to check it per SLAM procedures until it comes down to 16, then use Pool Math to hold it there while you're brushing and filtering. You don't want to risk bleaching the liner!

SLAM:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Chlorine vs. CYA Chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
PoolMath: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html (Enter your 25k volume at the top, select Bleach as your chlorine source at the bottom, and select TroubleFreePoolMethod - enter your current FC, then your target FC (16), and it will tell you how much bleach to add to reach 16 once your FC drops below 16).

Good evening!

I haven't had a chance to test this weekend. Here is what I have today:

FC= 5ppm
CC=1ppm
pH=7.4
Alkalinity=180ppm
Calcium Hardness=90ppm
CYA=35

My daughter had added granular shock this morning (per my husband who is no where nearby)
Advice???
CC is still high. If that shock is Cal-hypo, no problem using it. Your CH is low enough you're not in any danger of scaling and won't be for a long long time. But you need to get something in there to boost FC and blast the last of the CC.

Have you clicked on the Poolmath tab? You enter in your pool volume and your current levels on the left column and then your FC goal in the right. Once you enter those things in it will calculate how much you need to add. Just be sure to adjust the bottom details for your pool and also adjust the % for the bleach you're using.

Also read the Pool School tab - awesome information there!

I'm sure the pros will be along shortly to chime in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been to aqua leisure and leslies for supplies before joining this forum. I have found 10% bleach at Walmart on sale. Are there better places with better prices I should check out for pool chemicals? I have to buy some stabilizer and according to the pool math, so calcium chloride. Suggestions?

The Wal-Mart 10% (white bottles) are fine. So is their regular Great Value 8.25%. Any bleach/liquid chlorine will work as long as it's not too old and you know the percentage so that you can manually enter that percentage in the "WEIGHT" field on the Poolmath Calculator. You always want to check that "Weight" field. Most of us get stabilizer at the Wal-Mart or home improvement store pool sections. Some will order it on-line. Often times it's best to have a copy of the Recommended Chemicals page (link below) and shop around locally for availability and best prices. And while we don't recommend paying high prices at the pool store, once in a while it may be necessary to grab some liquid chlorine or muriatic acid from them. That's okay as long as you know what you need, get it, and leave. Don't get roped into their snake oil products. We're all about getting only what you need, when you need it, at the best price to save you time and money.

Have you clicked on the Poolmath tab? You enter in your pool volume and your current levels on the left column and then your FC goal in the right. Once you enter those things in it will calculate how much you need to add. Just be sure to adjust the bottom details for your pool and also adjust the % for the bleach you're using.

Also read the Pool School tab - awesome information there!

I'm sure the pros will be along shortly to chime in.

YOU did just fine! THANKS!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.