Help! New Pool Build Cave-In. Pics Attached!

Ironside17

Aug 1, 2023
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New gunite pool construction (11x29 rectangle with sunshelf) with pool builder in Florida. Excavation and rebar phase completed about a week ago. Days after, the earth caved into the pool structure. It’s rainy season here and the soil is always pretty wet in this area. I can only imagine the heavy rain and already wet soil caused the cave in. Pictures show evidence of the damage. I informed the construction manager from the PB and he came out and laid extra clear tarp down. It’s now been almost a week since this occurred and the PB has yet to bring out a team to get things back in place.

#1 I am very concerned about the structural integrity of the existing damaged frame. They mentioned this has happened to other builds in the area and they typically bend the rebar back in place and patch any areas that are damaged. Therefore, they are not likely to tear apart and start over. Is this considered standard and acceptable?

#2 Concerned about the lack of soil compaction that may be present once they try to put the earth back in place and pour the deck over it which could potentially lead to a sinking deck and more cement cracks than usual.

#3 The rebar descending from the sun shelf looks odd and rounded. Is it supposed to have a harder 90 degree turn down to resemble the final look of the sun shelf or is this rounded rebar considered normal in this area? The rebar throughout is also rusted, does it matter?

Feedback is greatly appreciated. I welcome any other concerns I should monitor.

IMG_3469.jpgIMG_3473.jpgIMG_3488.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 typically the entire steel cage is not removed but only the damaged areas that have lost their required form of the walls/floor.

#2 your concerns are valid regarding the compaction of the backfill. This should not be accomplished until the shell of the pool is shot first.

#3 the radius of the bends is completely up to the individual who is installing the rebar. The difference in the cage and the finished product is left up to the Shotcrete crew. IMG_4304.jpgI am use to seeing a sharper radius. The rust is acceptable on rebar due to the fact that it will be in cased within the Shotcrete.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.