help needed re: muriatic acid

Strike that aeration....I was thinking it lowered PH but I got confused. I was thinking about the ways to lower TA and it was an MA and aeration method....need more coffee. In any case, is it proper to add more MA or should I wait a few more days? I am not clear on what would be the proper interval between dosing with MA.

kawfytawk said:
Strike that aeration....I was thinking it lowered PH but I got confused. I was thinking about the ways to lower TA and it was an MA and aeration method....need more coffee. In any case, is it proper to add more MA or should I wait a few more days? I am not clear on what would be the proper interval between dosing with MA.

From Pool School article on How to Lower Total Alkalinity:

The acid/aeration process to lower TA:
1. Add acid to lower your PH to between 7.0 and 7.2 (this also lowers TA)

2. Aerate until PH rises to around 7.6 (the only way to raise PH without also raising TA)

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you reach the desired TA.

Basically, as soon as your pH is around 7.6, it is time to dose with MA again :)
So, the proper interval in your pool is how long it takes the pH to rise with aeration to the 7.6 range.

Morning,

Can anyone tell me what happens to the MA I put in? Does it get eaten by the sun like chlorine? Can you end up overloading a pool with it in effort to keep PH/TA under control? As you can tell I am no chemist but it helps to understand what happens to the products I put into the pool.

Also, we will no doubt get rain from the tropical storm in the gulf. At the very least scattered T storms. How does rain affect PH ordinarily specifically for pool water that has a TA that is around 250-280? Is it good for a pool that has issues like mine or will it be a headache?

Kawfy, to put it simply, the MA you put in reacts with the TA in the water. It is "used up" as it lowers the TA.

Rain will likely cause your pH to go up a little, since it will cause aeration in your pool. It won't cause any problems beyond that.

Thanks Melt,

I wondered what happens and thought I heard CYA can build up and it is a matter of water replacement to correct it. It made me wonder if MA was the same.

Also, I appreciate the layman's terms, I feel all goofy when trying to discuss chemicals and their reactions. :?

Good morning, Miss B! CYA does not build up. Perhaps you were thinking of TA or pH? You specifically have to add CYA and it's one of the items we have to buy at the pool store (ugh)! But it does not build up - you will lose it over time with water splash-out, i.e., playing in the pool and having to replace the splashed-out water. Replacing water due to evaporation will not lower it either - to lower CYA, you have to let water out (I've also read something about getting something in your pool that will eat up the CYA, but can't recall what is was right now). But I don't think CYA is what you meant to say.

While I'm no chemist either (but Richard is!!), I believe all the household stuff we put into our pools is used up and works in concert with each other to create healthy pool water. When Pool School instructions are followed, you should not have any dangerous situations with your water. That is the great thing about BBB. For the 1st two months with our pool, before we found TFP, I did the "shock" like a good little pool owner, and we had pool downtime. With BBB, there is no downtime, because, once you've learned your water (yes, your high TA water may present a small challenge), you'll know what it needs and you'll know exactly what is going into it and how it will react. The MA you're putting into your pool is being used up. That's why you keep having to add more. If it built up, you'd have the TA and pH problems moving in the opposite direction and never be able to correct them. Does that make sense? It's still before noon!

Right now, you're getting to know your water. Once you get the system down, even with your high TA water, you'll look back on these past couple of weeks and laugh. You're doing fine.

Hope you're feeling better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.