Help Needed - Contractor cemented Bond Beam to Cantilever Deck

spool16

Jun 6, 2023
new york
Hello- I am in urgent need of advice. I am currently having pool work done (resurface deck, new tile and plaster). I happened to notice that the contractor filled the space between the top of the bond beam and my cantilever deck (no coping), with cement. I asked him about it, and he confirmed this is what he did. My pool is still empty, no tile or new plaster has been applied yet. Please let me know what problems this is likely to cause and the best way to remedy it now. Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 103
It will most like just crack... Not sure how much of a gap you had prior, but once it gets real hot or real cold, it will form a crack where the two meet. I'm assuming the bond beam isn't mechanically attached to the deck, so probably nothing to worry about. When the tile is applied, he needs to make sure there is a gap between the vertical tile and the bottom of the deck. That gap can be filled with a silicone based sealant that matches the color of your grout. Most contractors just fill that gap with grout and it cracks...

Reactions: KJB1
Your contractor should take a grinder and make at least one deep cut about 1/4" below the coping to separate the tile bed from the coping. Then he sets the tile below that cut, and applies sealant - not grout - into the cut and the rest of the gap between the tile and the coping.

Ideally you want them to fully expose the old joint.

Thank you very much, everyone! He is going to use a grinder to open the gap, as MAPR-Austin suggested. Please let me know what kind of sealant you recommend.

Once he opens a new gap, he was planning on using the Stegmeier after-market tile strip (the white plastic thing that hangs down over the tile), shown here: Renovation Tile Strip - Decorative Concrete Forming Systems and Deck Drains for Swimming Pools | Stegmeier LLC | 817-467-9028. Is this necessary or preferred for any reason? And, do you know what would be applied first - the white strip or the tile? Thank you!

Attachments

• tile strip.jpg
    tile strip.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 30
If he does the sealant above the tile, you won't need the tile strip. The sealant will look better too, and the tile strip always seems to get brittle and crack after years in service. Plus it hangs down over the top of the tile which can ruin the aesthetic.

Reactions: KJB1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Tremco 116 polyurethane sealant to fill that gap. I would stay clear of silicone to make future repairs easier. I was the victim of "most contractors fill with grout" it quickly cracked.

Your contractor should take a grinder and make at least one deep cut about 1/4" below the coping to separate the tile bed from the coping. Then he sets the tile below that cut, and applies sealant - not grout - into the cut and the rest of the gap between the tile and the coping.

Ideally you want them to fully expose the old joint.
Any tips on how the contractor can make this a straight cut? He is currently free-handing it and it doesn't seem level. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.