Help, my pool is green :(

You got a 70 with the diluted test? Meaning that your CYA is still 140? Or diluted was 35 meaning your CYA is 70. Can you clarify?

If you got 70 on the diluted, for a total CYA of 140, then I would run the pump and maybe jump in the pool and mix the water around...a bunch, then retest. It may be that the water is stratified and not mixed yet and you grabbed a sample from the old, unmixed water.

If you got 35 on the diluted, meaning your CYA is truly 70, that is likely because you didn't actually replace 2/3s, you only replaced 1/2. You have a choice...either replace about 20% or SLAM at 70. Given the size of the pool, I'd replace some more water...
No it was 35 for an end result of 70 total. If it were still 140 I probably would’ve just set the pool on fire 🤣

I would also guess your problem is exacerbated by the use of COPPER containing pucks. That Clorox XtraBlue contains copper.
We NEVER recommend copper products in a pool.
Your draining and refilling will assist in lowering that copper level.

Liquid Chlorine is the best product for sanitation as it doesn't contain unwanted CYA, Calcium...or copper ;)

Maddie 🌻

I would also guess your problem is exacerbated by the use of COPPER containing pucks. That Clorox XtraBlue contains copper.
We NEVER recommend copper products in a pool.
Your draining and refilling will assist in lowering that copper level.

Liquid Chlorine is the best product for sanitation as it doesn't contain unwanted CYA, Calcium...or copper ;)

Maddie 🌻
I’m about to shove those pucks up a chlorox CEOs rear! What’s more frustrating is I used pucks for the first 2 summers without issue but have no idea what brand they were. They obviously didn’t have the amount of stabilizer in them.
It’s still refilling for the 2nd time and my husband took out more than needed so it’s looking better from that alone. I will test and post later once it’s filled and see what you wonderful peeps tell me to do.
This should be called pool church instead of pool school because without it I would be in heII 🤣

Reactions: Brian PacNW
Ok. We’re finally filled up, new test kit arrived, pump is running and it actually is looking better just from all the dilution. I added a gallon of chlorine earlier today because of all the new water. CYA is less than 30, I guessed at 25 and I am above SLAM level but I’m ok since I work 12 again tomorrow. Am I ok to just follow SLAM protocol now?IMG_3617.pngIMG_3616.png

CYA between 20 & 30 counts as 30 so slam level is 12 ppm (always round up if between two values for chlorination purposes)
Let it circulate for tonight - you may be a little higher than you think. Get some winks in 😴 & Check it again tomorrow.
Check fc again in the am.
When fc is 10ppm or below check ph & adjust to 7.2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been testing the PH also just out of habit, but I thought that I was told it’s not accurate during this process so not to worry about it?
My TA is also high, do I need to be concerned with that?
My chlorine did drop lower than SLAM level today because I was gone all day unplanned. I just added a full gallon tonight because I will also be gone all of tomorrow.
It’s looking much better color wise, it’s just really cloudy but getting very blue again. My well water is also very hard so after refilling it twice I’m sure it’s still working that out. I’m keeping my automatic vacuum in there because it keeps things stirred up and climbs the walls brushing as it goes, but it’s not a normal one it’s powered from the filter return jet. It can’t get tiny stuff but is keeping things moving and large debris out. And I’m backwashing daily to see how much is coming out. The backwash is still green but goes clear pretty quickly.
Is there anything else I should be doing? Other than not letting my FC drop below 12 anymore.
IMG_3620.png

Scrub all the nooks & crannies- especially under any seam flaps , remove the ladder & scrub it inside and out.
Brushing breaks up the biofilms algae creates to protect itself from chlorine. Brush the pool every day during slam.
Test & dose before you leave tomorrow too. Then again as soon as you return.
When you return & are able to babysit the filter you may consider adding a little de to help catch the finer particles if you’re able (this is usually added via the skimmer).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m about to shove those pucks up a chlorox CEOs rear!
Give me a buzz before you do that, I'd love to witness that :laughblue:

What’s more frustrating is I used pucks for the first 2 summers without issue but have no idea what brand they were. They obviously didn’t have the amount of stabilizer in them.

It's probably just that it accumulated more until now and you got lucky so far that things didn't escalate earlier. The Chlorine to Stabilizer ratio is always the same in pucks, it's determined by the chemical composition of the Trichlor molecule.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’m done!!!! Yayyyyy! Pool is beautiful blue and passed the overnight loss test. Now I need help maintaining. Since I don’t have an automatic chlorinator and I can’t use pucks anymore I have to get the chlorine to hold out longer. I’m burning through a gallon a day and I can’t afford to keep that up much longer. I’m assuming I now need to increase the CYA but I’m a little gun shy now. I’m reporting it at 30 but it’s less than that. The dot never goes away even filled all the way to the top.
This was my reading tonight. After I added a gallon of chlorine and put the solar cover back on to hopefully help it from dropping too much until I can get back to it next which won’t be until Thursday morning.

You won't be dosing too much longer, will you?
When is your first frost? When do you close? We suggest doing it after the water temp hits 60º. Then open again once the water hits 60º again next spring.

Maddie :flower:

The dot never goes away even filled all the way to the top.
Add 30ppm of Dry Chlorine Stabilizer using the sock method. No need to be gun shy. This will help your chlorine usage, and not be a deterrent to Slam or anything else. Should help you through close.

Since you have some wiggle room in your CYA, you can use a combination of pucks and liquid chlorine. Now that you have a good test kit and know the impacts of pucks to your CYA, you shouldn't be afraid to use them especially since they are convenient. Its the folks who blindly use pucks who find themselves in trouble.

I’m done!!!! Yayyyyy! Pool is beautiful blue and passed the overnight loss test. Now I need help maintaining. Since I don’t have an automatic chlorinator and I can’t use pucks anymore I have to get the chlorine to hold out longer. I’m burning through a gallon a day and I can’t afford to keep that up much longer. I’m assuming I now need to increase the CYA but I’m a little gun shy now. I’m reporting it at 30 but it’s less than that. The dot never goes away even filled all the way to the top.
This was my reading tonight. After I added a gallon of chlorine and put the solar cover back on to hopefully help it from dropping too much until I can get back to it next which won’t be until Thursday morning.
Don’t stop with slam unless you’re also crystal clear with no recurrent algae (dead or alive).

For maintenance mode you will likely only need around 3ppm/day worth of liquid chlorine. That’s about 1/4 gallon of 10% in your pool.
Keep fc above minimum at all times going forward.
Aim for high target when dosing so you don’t broach minimum before your next dose FC/CYA Levels

I don't believe the TA is that high. I think the static and op error is contributing to the high count.

Notes

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.