help! my pool cover came off a little...

I will get CYA in as fast as I can ...

Before you add CYA confirm your pool can hold chlorine by adding 10ppm of liquid chlorine and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes.

\Don't let the pool company add ANYTHING to your pool.
If they are charging you a fixed price to open - whether or not they dump chlorine or other 'stuff' in - just have them leave the chlorine and other 'stuff'.
You can add the chlorine yourself after the pump is up and running and you actually run a full set of tests using your TF-100 and your salt test.

Do as Allen suggests in the post above and confirm the pool holds chlorine before adding any CYA.

they will want to dump 4 gallons of chlorine in and clean the pool. Is that ok?
That's 33 FC using their 12.5% bleach.

CYA was last a 70 and has likely gone down about half over the winter. It would need to be mixed well and CYA tested to find an acceptable target but 4 gallons risks damage to your finish.

Before you add CYA confirm your pool can hold chlorine by adding 10ppm of liquid chlorine and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes.
Ok, I don't know anything about ammonia.

That's 33 FC using their 12.5% bleach.

CYA was last a 70 and has likely gone down about half over the winter. It would need to be mixed well and CYA tested to find an acceptable target but 4 gallons risks damage to your finish.
wouldn't that be the case every year? They dump 4 gallons in every year at opening.

Hopefully you will not need to learn. Given where you are starting this year it is worth checking.
Ok so before I do anything I should bring my FC to 10, and test in 30 minutes and hope I still have some? then if I do, start the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
should I test it now? See if I have any FC at all? I normally would not think of this but since the dumb pool has come open already it seems more accessible for some reason. lol

should I test it now? See if I have any FC at all? I normally would not think of this but since the dumb pool has come open already it seems more accessible for some reason. lol
You want to mix the water before you test to get accurate results.

ok, so I open tomorrow. I looked under the pool cover a little as the water is drained off. I can see the walls are stained but I can't see the color of the water because I'm not opening it enough to get light. anyway, if it's the wrong color, how do I test it? is that a dumb question? I've never not had clear water to test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support