Help, my CYA ig gone!

duraleigh said:
Samantha,

Measure your FC any given morning very early and then measure it again that evening. If you lose the majority of your FC, you can safely assume you have no CYA and replenish it.

I have no explanation as to why it disappeared. The ammonia conversion is not valid for your situation.

I lose about 50% or a little more of my FC over the course of a day.

ultra800_96 said:
I had brought mine up to 80 in a couple different increments due to installing a SWG this year. I started with fresh refill testing regents I purchased from TFtestkits, stored in a closet in my home. A friend had stopped over & was present when testing the 80 figure, we both did the test independently with multiple pour-backs to verify the 80 level. It came out everytime with us both to be a solid 80. Perfectly clear, sparkling water & two weeks later I tested again. Again multiple tests, under 50 (I guestimated 45) every time. I had just enough HTH stabilizer (purchased from Wally World this spring) to get me back to 60 per the pool calculator. I waited a week, sure enough it was back to 60 after multiple tests. No fertilizer, roundup, or algae bloom during that time. The only thing that might have been a factor, is in a nightly testing with the chlorine/ph test block, one time during the period I came up with a 1 fc. I checked the cell, everything was fine, water was still very clear with no signs of algea, dumped in one 182 oz jug of 6% to put me back up to around 8, the SWG since has had no trouble maintaining a 5 ish FC level & previously had no trouble before. No extreme chlorine demand after the incident, so I can't see the ammonia conversion happening. Everything's been fine since, but for kicks I'm going to do another test tonight to see if the 60 is holding. Your thread just caught my eye, because this is what I experienced. No catastrophe for me, but very puzzling.

OK, I finally got around to doing a full range of tests today.
FC 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH 320 ? (this one still has me questioning, starts out at pink, not red & ends a very light blue, hard to judge the endpoint)
CYA 60 Solid figure after multiple pour-backs.

So, I'm convinced my cya did drop (from 80 to 45), especially after looking back over my log to verify my additions to get me to 80 the first time. Testing error & subjectivity of the test? Maybe, but that big of a drop? But I'm very confident & consistent with the testing that I've done. In this time period, we've received maybe 1/2" of rain, & I added 1-1/2" of top-off yesterday with again, no backwash.
So.., after picking up some more stabilizer from the dreaded pool store.. (she asked if I had a pool water sample for their free testing :blah: , tee hee, She didn't have a clue about the K2006 or equivalent) more cya going in a sock today. One of life's mysteries, I guess & life is still good. :cheers: Now for that margarita I've been yearning for...

Re: Help, my CYA is gone!

Samantha_in_AL said:
I just noticed I named this thread is "Help, my CYA ig gone!" hammer: Yes, I'm blonde! LOL

I brought my CYA back up to 40. I'll be watching it closely to see if it drops any.

LOL, been waiting for someone to notice who could change it. Just edit your first post in this thread, then edit the subject.

What did I miss? I thought your CYA was 60ppm at the last test. You added 40ppm or you added enough CYA to get to 40ppm? From 60? :?:

I believe Samantha said it in the original post that it tested 60 two weeks prior to the 3rd, and it had been 80. Then on the third it hardly even registered on the test. Do I have that right? & today she is bringing it back up to 40. I had always been purchasing my CYA at Wally World, till my cya drop. I went back for more & they were out for the season. So I had to go to the only pool store within 80 miles of me to get more. I noticed the Bioguard brand that I purchased is 100% (wally said 94%) and it is made up of more solid, bigger granuals (& more expensive). Wally's HTH brand was almost powderish like. I'll be checking it again in a week & post. For what it's worth, I'm one of them also that looses it over the winter freeze, even when properly covered & clear the next spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.