Flathead-dude

May 15, 2023
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I took a chemical test today and had a few questions, maybe someone could shine some light.Water looks ok. Thanks for any help
1. How often should do a full test?
2. I don't understand FC/CC these are all my readings today, should I do anything?
PH 7.4ish
TA 100-110
CYA. 50-55
CH 20
FC 4.0
CC. .5

So I took a chemical test today and had a few questions, maybe someone could shine some light.Water looks ok. Thanks for any help
1. How often should do a full test?
2. I don't understand FC/CC these are all my readings today, should I do anything?
PH 7.4ish
TA 100-110
CYA. 50-55
CH 20
FC 4.0
CC. .5
Get that FC up to recommended range. Use 60 for your CYA (always round up)....Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Mdragger88
So if I'm at 60 CYA my Fc needs to be 7- 9? Sorry very new, was under the assumption I wanted never higher tha. 4
That is correct. And never let it get below 5...that's algae city.

HOCl is the stuff that is the result of adding liquid chlorine to water. It is what sanitizes the pool. It is what can be harsh on skin and swim suits.

The HOCl with CYA 0 and FC 1 = ~.5ppm HOCl. Which is about 5x higher than CYA 60 and FC 9 = ~.1ppm HOCl.

Last edited:
You're FC is low for your CYA. Ideally your CC should be 0.

FC = Free Chlorine. Chlorine available to kill stuff.
CC= Combined Chlorine. Left over bits of Chlorine that has already killed stuff. Goal is 0. A CC of 1 or more indicates there's a problem. A CC <1 doesn't prove that there is no problem.

From prior posts it looks like you have a Taylor 2006 test. Can you add that info to your signature so that we know when we're answering your questions. It also looks like you're using liquid chlorine. Good. Since you're in Mass, in case you don't know, Ocean State Job Lot has 12.5% chlorine for $5.99 per full gallon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harley GIF

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
So to tonight's reading after adding chlorine the other night. So do I do nothing? All seems good. Hasn't been sunny at all, don't know how that effects the usage of chems.
Ph 7.4
TA 90-100
CYA 60
FC 9
CC. 0- .5

Test fc daily to get an idea of your fc consumption depending upon conditions- a sunny summer day can eat up 4ppm fc .
When ph rises to around 8 use acid to lower it to mid 7’s
& go swimming!!

Reactions: Flathead-dude
5 FC is minimum for CYA of 60.

I always suggest staying well away from “minimum”. I’ve seen too many posts where people have issues despite keeping FC at/near minimum. Being near minimum leaves no room for error, and some pools will have issues at minimum (ask me how I know).

Just my 2 cents. 😀👍

Last edited:
So today CYA seems closer to 70 FC is 8.5. Can I lower the CYA other than emptying water? Seems it's getting too high. Probably from when I only had the liquid stabilizer.
Also what are good targets #s I can compare my test too?

So today CYA seems closer to 70 FC is 8.5. Can I lower the CYA other than emptying water? Seems it's getting too high.
If you don’t add anymore things that contain cya (stabilizer/trichlor/dichlor) then it won’t increase. The only way to lower cya is to replace with fresh water.
Your pool is very small so each backwash likely has a pretty good affect on water loss. By Maintaining the proper fc for your cya you can live with it until it comes down via backwashing, splashout etc.
always follow the FC/CYA Levels
If the need to do the
SLAM Process arises you’ll want to exchange some water to lower the cya as that would require alot of chlorine.
Probably from when I only had the liquid stabilizer.
We don’t recommend using liquid stabilizer unless you can use the entire bottle because you can get very inconsistent results. It likes to stay in the bottle.
In your pool 1 gallon yields 70ppm cya. Going forward stick with granular cya when you’re in need.
FC/CYA Levels
& the ideal levels page posted above.
Also
PoolMath shows ideal levels based on your setup.

Reactions: Flathead-dude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.