Help me! Swamp...

Test and raise FC to shock level at least 3 or 4 times per day
Brush daily or more
Backwash filter when pressure rises 25% from clean pressure
Never put anything with copper in your pool unless you want an education on ascorbic acid treatment, a regular addition of sequestrant to keep stains away green hair and maybe even a green dog. Yes, it has happened! :crazy:

You seem to be staying pretty close to shock FC levels, though you might want to add chlorine more often, as pooldv mentioned. You are also getting pretty close to where you want to stay on CYA, so you should switch from dichlor to bleach soon. You will overshoot CYA in the next day or two at the rate you are going. Other than that, just keep at it. It will eventaully clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool continues to be green. I think it is getting lighter green though. I vacuumed a lot of algae to waste yesterday. Now I can see the shallow end and the sides of the deep end...but not the deepest part. The pressure in the pump is stable at 22 and not going up. Flow is good. I am worried the fultwr is not catching much....I haven't backlashes in 1 days since pressure has not gone up.....before that I was back washing every 12 hours even if the pressures did not go up. I think I should deep clean the filter as suggested .... But I am a little worried as I have never done it before and don't want to mess it up.....any suggestions?

So here are the numbers from today. I have been adding 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine everyday since i reached shock levels and vacuuming to waste everyday. Pressure in the filter is 22....took 2 days to go up to 24. The shallow end is light green .... The deep end continues to be dark, however, the sides are getting better....can't see the deep end.
todays numbers:

FC 15
TOTAL CHLORINE 15
PH 7.6
ADJUSTED TOTAL ALK 106
CYA 29

any additional recommendations ? Was able to find some dichotomous sand at Home Depot....wI'll add some later....how often do I need to monitor the pressures after I add it to my sand filter?

want to buy some cyanuric acid....which brand is better......pool time or HTH.

THANKS!

With the DE I would plan on being around for about 2 hours to keep an eye on the pressure. Each filter is so different. On person could only use 2 Tablespoons and I use 2 cups so...............If you see the pressure going up too fast just back wash and start over with a smaller amount. I would start and increase 1/4 cup at a time.

Kim:cat:

So I've done a quick read of this thread and I have a few questions.
Which testkit are you using?
What is your current CYA?
How often are you testing and adding and brushing and running your pump?

Why are you looking at DE? As long as your pool is still green, it isn't recommended.

40k,

I have just
scanned this entire thread but you are mixing pool store advice and TFP advice. You end up in the middle.

You should make a decision to stay with one set of ideas----ours or the pool store.

This happens all the time and we are not "angry" when you choose the pool store. We have learned that you can't mix two sets of ideas.

Hi.
In the beginning I was listenning to the pool store...but that was prior me discovering this website. The pool people dumped in 50 gallons of 12.5% chlorine without any impact at all. I think that was because it was over many days.
Since I have started listenning to this thread, I have been doing only this thread. And that has made my pool light green. I do ask occasionally about using the products I bought prior to discoving this thread ( FLOC, ALGAECIDE), but have not really used them. Th reason I ask is because I have already bought them....

The DE idea was suggested by one of the members to help speed up the process of cleaning the pool. It is still green, but light green. Should I not do it?

The deep clean is what I am thinking of doing next. I am just scared as I am new to this. I have a question about the deep clean....When I stick in the pipe in the sand to over flow it, am I supposed to cover the center pipe coming aout of the sand filter or leave it open and let the water overflow into it as well? Also, once I am done and all the gunk has come out, Do I fill the sand filter with water and then put the multiport valve on, right? Then when I start it, do i start it at rinse, backwash or filter?

Also, my current CYA level is 29 (tested last night)
Thanks a lot!!

40k,

I have just
scanned this entire thread but you are mixing pool store advice and TFP advice. You end up in the middle.

You should make a decision to stay with one set of ideas----ours or the pool store.

This happens all the time and we are not "angry" when you choose the pool store. We have learned that you can't mix two sets of ideas.

I am vacuuming, testing and brushing every night. The test results are from the pool store...get it tested there till my kit arrives. So, you do not recommend adding DE to get rid of the light green? Should I deep clean prior to doing that? Do I cover the center pipe in the filter while over flowing it during deep cleaning?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.