Help me pick a automatic pool cleaner...

New here, first real post, but I went with the prowler 830 (mainly for the multi-day program feature). Love the thing. It eats everything so far. I have mulch about a foot from side of pool, and it gets all of it. And the fine dirt it gets is great. Just got to make sure you burp all the air out if the unit.

Videopainter said:
New here, first real post, but I went with the prowler 830 (mainly for the multi-day program feature). Love the thing. It eats everything so far. I have mulch about a foot from side of pool, and it gets all of it. And the fine dirt it gets is great. Just got to make sure you burp all the air out if the unit.

The Prowler is same as Dolphin Premiere. Dolphin model has 3 year warranty. Prowler I see either 1 or 2 year.
FYI.
Sounds like it's a great model so far.

My only experience is with an kreepy krauly great white I inherited and it seems to work fine, only issue is that it needs about 80% of my pump to work properly.

Is it ok to leave the vac plugged in at all times? Will it damage the plaster?

Cool, good to know. I've always left my Platinum Legend in 24/7 running 2 hrs daily, usually didn't remove it even for swimming (Kids like to run from it). Should get an Aquabot 4WD today, I was wondering about the cord in the pool, but sounds like as long as you unplug it, should be OK to leave it in. I'd pull it for swimming and cleaning it out though.

I service about 108 pools a week and have about 80 automatic cleaners of various types in my accounts. For the vinyl pool I like the bouncing type - Kreepy Krauly or the Zodiac G2 (even the Wahoo is good). The thing with the Zodiac cleaners is that the Wheel deflector can get hung up on your deep end steps if they are not flush against the wall (most vinyl pools have a gap) and you have to unhook it to get it going again. You can also just pull the steps out and that problem is solved. THey also sell a Ladder Guard device for $30.00 to prevent this.

The bouncing cleaners climb the vinyl walls very well and I like how they knock the debris down to the bottom and keep the surface clean. The Kreepy Krauly shouldn't get hung up on the steps at all and is a good choice also. The parts on the Kreepy are durable and long lasting - however you do have to get the suction just right for full coverage. The Zodiac cleaners are more drop in and you are good to go cleaners.

I mentioned the Wahoo. It is a $160.00 cleaner that is excellent. It only comes with 10 hoses (30 ft) so you may need to purchase more hoses - the G2 and Kreepy come with 12 hoses (36 ft). For such a cheap cleaner it works very good. Parts are durable too. Problem: parts are expensive -mainly the footpad ($65.00) and there is no generic one yet. Don't worry too much about replacing the diaphragm since there are plenty of good generic ones for $12.00 that are just as good as the $35.00 factory ones. Basically it is a throw away cleaner. After three years when the footpad, and disk wear out just toss it and get a new one.

I would stay away from the MX8 and even the poolvergnuegen "The Pool Cleaner" since vinyl is not the friendliest surface type for those cleaners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.