Help! LED strip lighting not working properly

rtenaglio

Mar 3, 2022
Houston
We had an LED strip light installed on the back wall of our pool, and it's had to be replaced twice now. Some sections of the strip will only show one color (e.g. red) while the rest of the strip is working properly. My question is this: Is this a quality issue? I have no idea what brand of LED strip lighting is being installed, but I'm beginning to think it's just some cheap strip purchased from Amazon. Pool experts/builders: Is there a specific brand of LED strip lighting you recommend so we don't continue to have this issue? I've attached a picture showing where the "outage" is currently.

Attachments

• POOL LED.jpg
    POOL LED.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 48
Hi,

First off, I'm no expert or pro but I do have some experience with these LED strips. Based on my research, there is a definitely a quality difference with the ones on Amazon vs some other other sites. They all use very small copper wires (3 of them) to control the different colors through the strip. If they cheap out, you will get dead spots like you are seeing. Sometimes if you press on the area or around it, the colors will show properly since you are forcing the connection back into place.

Some vendors use slightly better/thicker, although still extremely small, copper wires which hold up to bending, twisting, etc. I'm also going to assume that you are using the waterproof version as I doubt the non waterproof rated ones would hold up. FWIW, I installed 100+' of these LED Strip (12V) with IP65 Waterproof Rating in April and have had no problems. It's not really a plug and play kit though, you need to make sure you get the correct transformer and connectors. It does have a nice mobile app that works well too.

I have seen the same problem with my LED strips. I have had one entire strip fail. On the other there are sections where one color fails like yours. I have resigned myself to having to replace them every several years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.