Help! Just opened and not sure what to Balance first

what do you do through the night when it will sit for 6-8 hours with pump running but no chlorine added.
The same as you will during the slam, which is nothing. You won't lose any appreciable ground overnight.

If we don't take care of you first, then we got nobody to perform the slam. Sleep is good. :)

I was told if you have a chlorine demand or ammonia problem and you hypethetically need 20 gallons of shock to overcome, but add only 15 you will be starting back at zero again, is this true?
There are too many variables here. Falling short may just be a pause in the cure, or given enough time and catalysts the problem could be much worse in the end.

In ammonia's case in pools, you'd need to add more CYA for the soil bacteria to create more ammonia so pausing overnight likely wouldn't lose any ground in the battle, although I'd do my best to attack it in one shot.

So I started the process of adding chlorine at 1:35. I put in 2 gallons which would bring me to 10 ppm at 2:05. I tested it and I was at 4 ppm. I added two more gallons and tested again at 2:40 and chlorine is now at 8 ppm, at 3:10 I'm gonna add another 2 gallons, and then let it go for an hour and test and see where I am at .

So I started the process of adding chlorine at 1:35. I put in 2 gallons which would bring me to 10 ppm at 2:05. I tested it and I was at 4 ppm. I added two more gallons and tested again at 2:40 and chlorine is now at 8 ppm, at 3:10 I'm gonna add another 2 gallons, and then let it go for an hour and test and see where I am at .
You are not following the protocol for ammonia. What are you following?

Following process "poolstored" outlined. What other process would/should i be doing?
Post #19 said:

let's get 10ppm of chlorine and see if it maintains something close to 10ppm after 30 minutes.

If not, add another 10ppm and test after 30 minutes. Rinse repeat. When the chlorine holds, add 20ppm of CYA and start the SLAM at the same time, using target FC for 30CYA.

Close to 10PPM means you should have about 7PPM or more after 30 minutes.

Reactions: Newdude
OK, so I just tested now at 3:10 and my free chlorine is at 10.5. I'm not sure what's next. I added two more gallons of chlorine and I have the sock ready to go. Where do I proceed? Should I hang the sock in front of the returns put in the skimmer or where.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 2:40 you had 8 ppm FC. You were to raise the FC to 10 ppm. You added 8 ppm FC of bleach to raise it to 16 ppm. You now are down to 10.5 ppm FC and added another 8 ppm FC of bleach. So now you have 18.5 ppm FC.

The ammonia protocol is to RAISE the FC to 10 ppm, then test again in 30 minutes.

Should I let it go for like two hours so it falls below 10 ppm and then add enough to bring it back to 10 ppm and test in 30 minutes?

You are done with that 10ppm every 30 minutes testing and passed.

Follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Your next step should be getting 20ppm of stabilizer dissolving in the water.

OK, so I'm gonna hang the sock in front of the returns in the pool and test again in a couple hours and hold my free chlorine at 12 for the slam process

And brush the pool regularly.

Still doing the slam, test results in pic. My CYA is still not registering on my test kit (below 30), warmed sample prior to testing. Should i adjust CYA during slam? I did add dry stabilizer at start of slam in sock to raise CYA to 20 ppm (4 lbs). Appreciate all the help and patience.IMG_3574.jpeg

Add another 10 ppm of dry stabilizer to dissolve in the water.

Test your FC 30 minutes after adding and see you are getting to 12ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support