Help im freaking out!!

So, he says the the gray paint won't match. I guess he thinks black does? What the heck?!?!?? by pooldv. Made me smile! He really thought that was a real fix. I'm a QC inspector and deal with painted or the painting of steel almost everyday. Taking care of rusting steel is a multi step repair if you are going to stop it cold in it's tracks. The spraying of the black top coat on the rust is a temporary fix and the rust will come back in time. it would be best to remove this black and treat the rust with a metal wash primer or some naval jelly if you can't find a wash primer. Then paint the wash primer over with a buff or epoxy primer. Then apply a top coat(gray Rustoleum) on top of that primer. Follow the paint can instructions and the rest of the pool might rust but that area will not.
Super job on the restoration! That had to be a lot of work but it came out very nice.

It would be fine if there was actually rust. There wasnt any!! Just brown stains where the water was running feom the unpainted edges under the fittings. We were trying to prevent any issues. Basically he painted over brown stains on top of paint. Not actually rust :-(. Makes it that much worse!!! He tried to "fix" (i use that term VERY loosly) the symptom but didnt do anything about what caused it!

i looked closely, he claims they "sanded" it but theres no dust at all so i know they just painted over the water marks. Grrrrr

I guess we can assume he didn't even try to remove the stains, he simply sprayed over the stains. Since this is "just paint", I would get two colors of epoxy paint, similar to what's there. Spray the darker gray, let it dry and then spray a lighter grey/tan color over top and run some q-tips over the light color to make streaks like the pattern of the rest of the panel.

Sorry to see this level of shoddy work.

I do wonder... did he check the area between the liner and inner side of the wall. Rust there would be hidden. I know when I changed my liner, I sanded rust off the interior (and exterior) around the skimmer and return cut-outs. I then masked the area and used a rust primer and paint before I placed in the new liner (with all new gaskets).

Thanks! I'll hit their website on the paint!

the steps are from the amusement park days. The house was the main building and restaurant for the white. It's amusement park. The stairs led down to the lake and boating areas of the park. No pools onsite but we do have the 30' original fountain. We looked at rehabbing that but it's almost 10k and then we'd have issues because the base pool is almost 48" deep then you get not pool code for fencing etc. we thought about burying the sharkline but we have so much wildlife it would be a nightmare. The snapping turtles climb the bluff each spring and lay their eggs all over the yard. I don't want to see what they'd do to a pool liner. Some are over 40 lbs. image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Have you tried to use mineral spirits or lawyer thinner to remove the black paint that he put on there? I may try that before I started trying to match what was there by spraying over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.