Help IDing parts of my pool system

JCD3nton

Jul 6, 2020
Laredo, TX
A couple of questions, pictures attached below:

1. My pool has a curved trench in the bottom that is the bane of my existence. The deepest part is probably 18-24 inches deep, and it's probably 2-3 feet across (except in the circular part at the end, which is larger). It makes cleaning the pool a nightmare, especially because the robot gets stuck on the curved walls and spends 80% of its time there. What is the likely function of this trench? I assume it's to empty the pool, but it seems unnecessary to make it that big and deep. And how can I deal with it? I've thought about filling it in with something but preliminary research indicates that just would just bring its own sets of problems. Another idea would be to cover it with some sort of mesh or grate so the robot can just roll right over it, but I have no idea what product would be good for that since it needs to be just heavy enough to sink.

20240423_194555.jpg

2. I am about to redo a segment of my plumbing to replace the filter and add a RJ60+ SWGC. One of the pipes that I likely need to delete has a strange wire on it that runs back to the power box where the pumps are wired. I assume it is an anode or a flow switch, but there wouldn't really be any reason for either of those to be installed on my pool (unless the old owners had a SWCG and took it with them, but I don't see signs of that. Any insight into what this is and if I need it or not would be helpful and appreciated.

20240423_194715.jpg

2. I am about to redo a segment of my plumbing to replace the filter and add a RJ60+ SWGC. One of the pipes that I likely need to delete has a strange wire on it that runs back to the power box where the pumps are wired. I assume it is an anode or a flow switch, but there wouldn't really be any reason for either of those to be installed on my pool (unless the old owners had a SWCG and took it with them, but I don't see signs of that. Any insight into what this is and if I need it or not would be helpful and appreciated.
This is your water temperature probe. it is required to monitor water temperature of your system. Keep it. It can be moved but is usually placed between the pump exit and before entrance to the filter.

My pool has a curved trench in the bottom that is the bane of my existence. The deepest part is probably 18-24 inches deep, and it's probably 2-3 feet across (except in the circular part at the end, which is larger). It makes cleaning the pool a nightmare, especially because the robot gets stuck on the curved walls and spends 80% of its time there. What is the likely function of this trench? I assume it's to empty the pool, but it seems unnecessary to make it that big and deep. And how can I deal with it? I've thought about filling it in with something but preliminary research indicates that just would just bring its own sets of problems. Another idea would be to cover it with some sort of mesh or grate so the robot can just roll right over it, but I have no idea what product would be good for that since it needs to be just heavy enough to sink.
This is very unusual. How old is the pool? It appears to have the main drain at the bottom of it. What is the water depth to the main drain? What is the water depth to the ridge before it drops down into the trench?
If you ever replaster the pool, It could be filled with plaster and just extend the main drains higher.

Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS or @1poolman1 has some insight to this design.

That trench is really weird with the main drains at the bottom of the trench. Only thing I can think of is that area of the pool was deeper and at some renovation the owner wanted a shallow kiddie area. But with the drains there they put in the trench to not disturb the drains.

As was said the sensor is your water temperature sensor. It is better placed on the pipe on the filter output so that debris getting past the pump is caught by the filter and does not damage the sensor.

Unknown what the purpose of the trench was, it did have a specific purpose and made the construction of the pool more complicated. To assist in draining the pool was not likely its purpose.

To fill in the trench properly shouldn’t have its own set of problems, but it won’t be cheap to accomplish.