Help Identifying Red Flexible Pool Piping

Apr 27, 2016
Villa Hills, KY
I am having issues with my plumbing, I've lost suction in the skimmer. I had a pool company look at it, and confirmed my suspicions that there is likely a leak in the skimmer line that is causing the problem. I had a leak detention company come out today to try and find the location of the leak. They told me that they could do the leak detection, but that they are unable to make repairs on this type of piping and that we should save the money for the leak detection. He said he worked on a pool a couple weeks ago with this same piping and that they hadn't ever seen it before and that they can't glue it, and thus can't make a repair that they can warrant. His recommendation was to just replace the whole line. I'm Ok with this at this skimmer, as I pretty much thought that was going to have to happen. This run is pretty short and the skimmer should be accessible by digging under the pool concrete.

The pool has a second skimmer that has never worked since we bought the house 6 years ago. This skimmer is on the other side of the pool and would require substantial concrete demo to access the skimmer, and more if I wanted to replace the whole line with PVC. The pool has operated fine since I've had it with just one of the two skimmers functional. But I was getting excited at the prospect of making the repairs to get the second skimmer working as well.

My question for this forum is if anyone knows what type of piping this is, and if it is true that I cannot glue a fitting to it? Clearly at some point, there were glued fittings used, so was it incorrectly installed from the beginning, or was there a glue that they used that was made specifically for this piping? The pool is probably a little over 30 years old, located in Northern Kentucky, just a couple miles south of Cincinnati. Any other relevant comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

This photo shows the red piping in question:
Pool Poping.jpg

This pic shows the skimmer on the right side is the one that we have been using since we've had the house, it is close to the equipment and is reasonably accessible by digging under the 3" wide pool apron. The skimmer on the left side of the pool is the one that has never worked, and would require all of the concrete on that side to be cut up to replace the line. (Don't judge the dirty water, this pic was right after the skimmer stopped working and we were still contemplating what to do and let the pool go for a couple days without attention, it's normally TFP clear)
pool picture.jpg

Not sure if the color red is indicative of anything specific, but it appears to be your standard flex PVC hose. They have their advantages, but all those couplers make me suspicious. Now sounds like a good time to re-do the line properly with a single line from skimmer to intake valve(s). If you continue with just one skimmer that should be fine. I would however consider taking this opportunity to replace those ball valves with pool-specific 3-way valves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.