Cooper245

Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am a new pool owner and just bought a new above ground pool I used the Clorox test strips which told me to use 5 lbs of alkalinity increased and 8 oz of ph down… I used 5 pounds of ph down. How do I fix it? Our pool is 13 ft wide and about 4 feet deep it holds about 4000 gallons. :/ please tell me I don’t have to start over.

Welcome to the forum.
Was the alkalinity increaser baking soda? Did you add it?

Do you have any washing soda (soda ash)?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Before we can help guide you with chemical modifications, we need to see accurate water test results. Test strips are horrible if you didn't already know. We recommend a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. It also sounds like some of the products you added may not have been needed, or certainly could've been substituted for something else cheaper. We're all about trying to save you time and money, but it starts with good testing.

Your pool is slightly over what we classify as a seasonal (3K) pool. For those owners we recommend a quick dump and refill since sometimes the water is cheaper nowadays. Certainly your call.

Please see the links below for more help. Our Pool Care Basics page has additional articles about recommended chemicals and how to use them.

Welcome to the forum.
Did you add the baking soda?

No I read somewhere borax could help I added some of that maybe like 1/3 of a box. I tried looking up how to fix it but didn’t want to add anything until I knew for sure what to do. I don’t want to create a bigger problem.

So you did not add the baking soda (alkalinity increaser)?

The borax raised the pH a bit.

Quickest is drain and start over. You must do something quickly to keep the liner from being damaged.

Do you have anything to test pH with?

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah so I didn’t get to that part. I did the ph down thinking it was the alkalinity increaser ( I didn’t read the bag carefully) and after I did that I just stopped adding stuff.

So you did not add the baking soda (alkalinity increaser)?

The borax raised the pH a bit.

Quickest is drain and start over. You must do something quickly to keep the liner from being damaged.

Do you have anything to test pH with?
I use Clorox test strips but it only goes as low as 6.2 which last time I checked it was 6.2 so I know it’s lower

OK --
If you can get washing soda (soda ash), add 1 lb. Mix really well. Use the test strip to see if above 7. If not, add another pound, mix well. Do not add more than 3 pounds.

After that, you will need a real test kit (at least a 6 way) to get things going your way.

Easiest is draining it and starting over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get things right, you need a drop test kit. Strips are horrible. Sort of OK for pH, but nothing else.

Welcome to the forum.

I got the pH up to 7.2 I couldn’t find the other water tester you were talking about at Lowe’s I’ll have to go try to get one somewhere else tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help

If you are at 6.8, that is good. Need to test TA when you can. Then adjust that to 70 ppm or so. If necessary.
Read the post above from Texas Splash. You need to make a decision on how you are going to manage this pool water chemistry.

I got the pH up to 7.2 I couldn’t find the other water tester you were talking about at Lowe’s I’ll have to go try to get one somewhere else tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help
Your unlikely to find either test kit locally. Maybe a pool store but the likelihood you’ll get talked into something “close” that isn’t what you need is probably pretty high. I’d personally just pick it up online than run around town.

The TF-100 is probably a better deal and better sized reagents. The Taylor K-2006C can likely be overnighted to you from Amazon so your call. Either way don’t stray from either of those options and get the speed stirrer, I have no clue how anyone runs tests without it.

Now that the PH issue seems to be improving it should all be downhill from here. From here we need to start talking about Chlorine. You’ll want to add 5ppm per day until you have reliable testing, assuming you use the Lowe’s Kem-Tek brand 10% that is 26oz per day (Approx 1/5 of the Gallon). Add this daily until you get a test kit. Once we have reliable numbers we can guide you on CYA additions and daily FC targets, as well as fine tune the PH/TA numbers as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.