Help! Husband bought pool and now i ended up with maintenance duty and have no idea.

The manuals that came with your pool will give you intex recommendations for run time on the pump. You have a cartridge filter so no back washing. You will need to clean or replace your filters when flow is reduced, you have no gauge to monitor either.

One of the problems I had with the Intex cartridge filter was with the Intex filters it didn't really keep my pool clean. When I upgraded to the Unicell cartridges, flow diminished way too fast and constantly cleaning filters is not my idea of a good time. Spend a couple weeks figuring out the Intex cartridge filter sucks. Then if you've got an extra 200 ish bucks get the Intex sand filter and enjoy it.

I already added the 40 oz. Of bleach, and it said to add baking soda how much time after the bleach i add the baking soda? I'm. Still wandering what is better dichlor or the stabilizer? I know i need it asap but i need your opinion before purchase because Sam's is next to Wal-Mart?

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Based on Sam's qty's you'll probably end up with way more dichlor than you need to get the job done. I'd probably just keep it simple and get the cyuranic acid / stabilizer.

You'll probably want to put it in a sock or something and hang in front of your return. Give a squeeze every once in a while to help it dissolve. It'll take a while, figure a week or so to let it do it's thing, then check we're you're at level wise.

A half hour or so with the pump running is probably plenty between additions. But relax, take your time. As long as you're keeping up on your chlorine you can just work on the other stuff at a pace that's enjoyable.

If you prefer faster results, Leslies sells a liquid stabilzer / instant conditioner. It'll cost you a little bit more, but it gets the job done quick. No waiting for it to dissolve. It'll probably cost about 30 bucks for a gallon, but that's more than enough to get your pool done and have some left over for next year or to top it up.

I think you're looking at too broad a picture at the moment. You have mentioned borax, TA, pH, CYA, etc.

From my calculations you need to get some stabilizer - put 25 ounces in an old sock, tie it off and hang it in front of your return (where the water pumps back into the pool). Give it a squeeze every now and then. Yes, the children can swim while the CYA is dissolving.

Test your chlorine and add enough to get it to about 4. Under no circumstances let it drop below 2.

Your pH seems fine.

When you're comfortable with this, then you can tackle your TA.

You may get some different suggestions but I think that will be good to get you started.

EDIT: The 25 ounces of stabilizer should move your CYA level to about 30

Last edited:
It seems like you've got things in line for your kids to start swimming. Just keep up on the chlorine. Get your CYA in there and keep your PH in line as you go.

In regards to the TA (total alkalinity). While it's not important to start adjusting it (actually yours is a good place to be with fill water), the measurement should be in the calculator. When or if you need to adjust the PH, the calculator considers the TA when telling you how much to add to adjust your PH. You can play around with the calculator and notice for PH adjustments the amounts it tells you to add changes based on what your TA is at. That's why I mentioned getting a TA measurement. TA for the most part moves pretty slowly and if your PH stays pretty stable you won't need measure it too frequently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test result at 3:45 pm
Cl : around 3 and 5 ppm
Ph : 7.5 ppm
TA : 110 ppm
These results were 30 minutes after i added 39 oz. Of bleach and i already have the stabilizer sock on since around 11:30 am

Test results at 3:00
Cl :0 ppm
Ph: 7.8 ppm
TA : 100 ppm

Yes looks good.

You don't need to check TA every time you test. Maybe just when you're going to make a ph adjustment, probably not even that frequently once you get a feel for things. As you test for a while you'll get a feel for it. Also ph doesn't really need to be a specific number to be safe. Just in a range. Because of my conditions mine is always rising. I usually lower it by the time it gets up to 7.8. I lower it to 7.0. Kids swim in it at every point in that range, no problem.

As you test it over the next couple weeks you'll get a feel for how it uses chlorine and how the ph moves. I'm to the point I can almost tell you where mines at and what I need to add without even testing it. Of course I do test to be sure, I'm just saying after a while you get a feel for it.

OK, THANK GOD im getting the hang of it. I thank everyone that haa taken their time to explain and re-explain everything for me, from my whole lot of boys we thank y'all from the bottom of our hearts and God bless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.