Help Hayward perflex De keeps building pressure and leaking

Carino

Jun 24, 2018
Billerica ma
Hi all

I need help! I've been calling pool stores and getting different answers. I Have perflex EC50AC. My filter is 5 years old. I have never had a problem until this week. I have been trying to open my pool and I have the following problems

Filter runs at 12 pounds at first then quickly rises. If I bump the psi will go down but it will go back up withing an hour hitting around 30 psi or over. I then notice a leak at the top of the filter in-between the metal band. I have removed and cleaned out all the DE 4 times already and it continues to do the same thing. Lastly I soaked the girds in cascade overnight rinsed then off then I soaked them in a muriatic acid solution overnight

I reassembled the filter added De and it does the exact same thing. Within an hour or two the psi is so strong that it begins leaking at lid.

The fingers look like new after cleaning them. I don't see any cracks. At this point I don't know if I should have someone look at it to repair or purchase a new one. It's the Hayward perflex De EC50DC

One plays is asking $75.00 to deep clean and then check for any broken and or defective parts.

The pool last week had heavy algae it was dep green I shocked it and added banish. I tried filtering and vacuuming as much as I could between the filter issues. There is no more green tint in the water, but does have some cloudiness. There is a little alagie in the bottom that I need to vacuum.

Thanks for the help

What you are describing with the rise in pressure sounds exactly like a large organic load on the filter. Filters, especially DE, get overwhelmed very fast with organics. Very common after opening. It's not a mechanical issue but more of chemistry. Can you post a full set of water test results? That would be an ideal place to start.

Reactions: proavia
I had the pool water tested last week. I haven't used any of the chemicals yet with the exception of the shock and banish. When I get home I will list all the water parameters
That is a sign that concerns us here at TFP. Having others test your water is often flawed with inaccurate results and to make matters worse, the advice that follows is just as bad. We highly encourage all pool owners to test their own water with a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Used properly it should last all season and you'll be guaranteed good/reilabel results.

As for chemicals, a pool is like a pet. It needs to eat (chlorine) everyday. We generally recommend liquid chlorine because tablets (or powders) tend to come with side effects that can be problematic later.

To properly help you, we really needs to see a full set of water test results from one of those test kits mentioned above. Please take a moment to bookmark and read our Pool Care Basics page. There you will find a wealth of great information to assist you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.