HELP!!!!! Green pool... and I'm having a brain fart.

Hi all...

I should remember this from a couple of years ago... but cannot seem to pinpoint the answer.

Above ground salt water pool is green with algae. I need to slam, but have no CYA. Do I add stabilizer first?

Here are my readings:
CYA = 0
FC = 0
pH = 7.2
Cl = .5
Br = 1
TA = 70
Calcium = 75

Everything I looked up doesn't quite address the 0 CYA and how to proceed... or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. What to do? Do I raise CYA to at least 30 (since SLAMMING will be easier with lower CYA levels)? Any and all advice welcome. Will be making a run to pickup a mother load of bleach to have on hand... and another bottle of stabilizer.

Yup. Put enough CYA granules in a sock to equate to 30 ppm, hang in front of the return, and SLAM!
Test for the CYA about 24 hours after everything is dissolved from the sock.

Good Luck!

Shock it to 10 FC and then fumble with enough CYA to get to 30. Then use 12 FC as shock level after that goes in. Check it often in the early stages. After it's all cleared and passed all three tests to stop, then you can boost the CYA to 70 or 80 for your SWG.

Looks like my algae is caking up my DE filter grids. I keep losing suction and return. Bumped the filter (which always sends back some debris back into the pool)... within 2 hours, I lost suction and return again. As I don't trust the bump and backwash with adding 80% DE again (in the past I noticed that a fair amount of DE sits at the bottom of the filter housing)... I guess a full tear down is in order to clean the filter grid completely???? I ended up shutting off the filter and pump as I couldn't address it at the time, so the pool has been sitting without movement for just over 24 hours. Thank god it's in the upper 50's low 60's and no sun... Oh! did I mention the dead frog at the bottom of my pool? Yuck! smelled awful.

I'm armed with many gallons of bleach, stabilizer for when I get FC to at least 10, and probably another 6-7 lbs. of DE (which is 2 full coatings for my filter). I'm gathering I'll need more DE???

Do I have any other option of removing the algae without having to clean my DE filter every few hours? Tried doing a stocking over the skimmer basket as an initial catch net, but it's becoming a pain (and doesn't seem to make a dent). Planning on attacking this tomorrow morning. I don't have a way to vacuum to waste. Any further suggestions???

As always... I'm so appreciative of all of you who offer your expertise and advice. Gratitude!!!:kim:

DE filters are great keeping a clean pool clean. But when you are full of algae, they can be a pain! Place your filter on recirculate and keep your pump running while keeping your FC at shock level as often as you can. Then, when you can be there for some time, switch to filter and remove the dead algae. You will need lots of DE powder.

Good Luck!

For my DE Hayward filter, when the pump pressure goes up: "Cleaning is recommended when the gauge pressure rises more than 10 psi (.70 Bar) in less than a 24 hour period or when cloudy water returns to the pool for more than 30 seconds after regeneration. "
Algae can quickly clog it up having had it happen 2 years ago.
Might want to read you filter's manual or if a Hayward, perhaps this might help:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Perflex-EC65A-EC75A.pdf

That's another conundrum... my pressure never changed. I can't be sure if there's something's wrong with the filter, or the pressure gauge is busted (ordered a new one and waiting for it to arrive)... or it was just coincidence that I happen to go out and look at the filter at just the right time? Hmmm!!!!

Once I bumped it, I had suction and return (with a puff of cloud back into the pool)... so I'm gathering it's the caking of algae that's causing my issue. It's raining here, so I'm waiting for some clearing of weather before starting my pool frenzy journey. I also broke down and bought a Water Tech Pool Blaster Max. Wish I had done this sooner so I could vacuum up some of this gunk.

Much appreciated for the feedback. Will post as I make progress (or not)!!! I'll still check back for any additional advice... and moral support :D

Hey fellow long islander. Just a few extra tips to avoid this in the future. I wish I could help, but I have a cartridge filter and know nothing about DE filters.

1 - open your pool earlier to avoid the algae. I open mine in April
2 - You can turn your intex SWG off during slam
3 - The SWG are pretty good at maintaining a salt level but I always add bleach at the beginning of the season to get my FC level to around 4. Also, in the dog days of summer I also add some bleach since the Intex SWG can't really keep up with demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.