HELP - Freeze protection not working?

Dec 27, 2015
Edmond OK
My freeze protection has been working well, for the past few weeks. We have the Hayward Goldline Controls panel. It is set to come on at 34 degrees and cycle between the pool and spa every 30 minutes. However, right now it is 30 degrees outside (and that's what the control panel reads, so that's what it thinks it is) but it is not cycling between the pool and spa. It will not let me turn off the filter or the spa jets; if I try, it says button is inactive due to freeze warning. It will let me cycle manually between the pool and the spa. Is there any reason it would stop cycling automatically??? Super worried here.

As an additional question, if the spa jets are going and the pool has a spillover from the spa to the pool, does it HAVE to cycle between pool and spa or is keeping it on spa sufficient??

An option is to use the switch on the valve actuator for your spa returns.

Use the switch to move the valve so that some water is going to the spa as well as the pool. When the valve is in the right spot, set the switch in the middle to disable that actuator. I would do the same thing, with less draw, for the spa return.

When things go back to normal, you will need to reset the switches so that the pool/spa automation works correctly.

Take care.

I do not know what automation you have but I would suppose you could. All night?

I assume you have never looked at your actuators. I know it is now dark, but the switches are on one of the sides.

If you can cover your equipment with an old blanket and put a drop light with 100W incandescent bulb in it under the blanket everything should be OK even if water is not flowing through all of it.

Take care.

same issue here, display reads freeze warning button inactive, but it has been working prior to today. I find nothing telling me how to activate and temp is currently 36 but forecast to get down to 26 tonight. filter button will not turn pump on. what should I do? thanks

You can do what Marty suggested:

If you can cover your equipment with an old blanket and put a drop light with 100W incandescent bulb in it under the blanket everything should be OK even if water is not flowing through all of it.

But 26F is really not cold enough for the plumbing to freeze. We get easily down to 20F at times and I never use freeze protection.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.