Help Finding Right Return Fitting

Jun 28, 2022
Orcutt, CA
My question : is there a return like the Hayward 1023 but has a wider flange to fit in the pre existing larger vinyl wall hole?

The original hole was for a bestway return that came with the pool is wider than the other ones I cut for the inlets

Back story:
First time pool owner, it's nothing awe inspiring but I'm trying to get the most out of this vinyl abg pool. Have done a lot of reading and YouTube and have finally gotten my chemistry correct.

It's a 22 x 12 oval pool, that I recently removed the original bestway fittings from for some upgrades. I removed the return and replaced with a hayward fitting and directional jet, then pvc plumbed a T so I could add a fountain with ball valve and have it come from outside the pool rather than inside the pool. Works well but faintly leaking from the gasket as the hole is slightly larger than expected from the stock fitting. Have "fixed" with a couple homemade plastic washers and a larger oring I had in the garage, but this is the problem I'm trying to fix

Today I drained to below inlets, cut vinyl and replaced originals with hayward ones, then pvc plumbing those together with separate ball valves. Mainly wanted to stop using plugs when doing maintenance. Valves are fast and keep my arms dry lol plus I got a new pool pre fill filter I wanted to try to nudge my calcium down

Me and my daughter are super tan now and have been swimming almost every day for over a month! When all the kids are over it's gets moving and I needed to get it a little more heavy duty. Tlhey actually started this whole upgrade project by running into the fountain coming out of the original return and breaking the fountain. Now it's outside the pool and easier to turn on :)

Hi, welcome to TFP :)
I am not sure there is a larger flange, but you could always use a vinyl repair kit and create a doughnut shaped patch.
I also used a ball valve for our fountain, but my wife and son seem to have trouble twisting it, so I am going to swap it out for a 2-way diverter.

Thanks for the response and the welcome!
That's a great idea! Do you think I should do one on each side or just from the inside?

I'll order a patch kit later today. This afternoon I think I'm going to grab a rubber mat and laser-cut better gaskets with the new inner diameter 2 3/8" to sandwich between the larger plastic washers I already put on there. Hoping that will stop the tiny leak until the kit arrives.

Yeah those 1.5" Valves are pretty firm to turn, my 10 yr old can do it but you can tell she struggles a bit. Still better than having it come out of the return inside the pool though!

I would probably do both sides to be on the safe side while trying to keep to overall diameter the same as the flanges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.