Help finding cost-effective options to run waterfalls at the same time as spa

Luvmslola

Mar 4, 2023
??
We are first time pool builders and are finalizing the design and cost. I really want a separate pump for my 2 - 3ft wide waterfalls (sheer descents) with a 12in raise so that i can have the waterfalls running at the same time as my spa. Our pool builder is telling us that it would be another $2706 to add a 1hp feature pump but that does not include a filter for this pump, which would be an additional $894 (not mandatory). Do we really need a separate filter for the feature pump?
Apparently the $2706 includes the pump itself, a second set of main drains, suction line and the piping, electrical work, and labor to install. That's a lot of extra cost for an extra pump that we prefer not to incur. Do you have any cost-effective options to bring up to my pool builder?

Last edited:
The $2706 for pump and install with piping seems pretty reasonable to me. You don't need a filter on it that pump, I'd consider that optional. I have 6 pump (1 filter, 5 water features), and I only have filters on 2 of them in total which is plenty. My $.02.

There is no other way to separate out the water features from the spa, without a second pump. The sheers have to pull and return water to the pool, the spa has to pull and return water to the spa. This physically cannot happen with a single suction/return setup.

I have a setup similar to this, where my deck jets, bubblers, and scuppers are all on a separate features pump. No filter for the features. I actually had to replumb my scuppers to be on this pump as the PB installed the scuppers off of the filter pump and I found out the hard way that I could not run my scuppers while running the spa.

My PB used the exact same pump for both features and filter, so I am fortunate that if I ever have an issue with my filter pump, I can always swap over the features pump until I can get parts.

--Jeff

My PB used the exact same pump for both features and filter, so I am fortunate that if I ever have an issue with my filter pump, I can always swap over the features pump until I can get parts.
My feature pump is also the same model as my circulation pump and I would strongly suggest this as it probably won't add much cost but has great benefit as @Turbo1Ton mentioned

Jim doesn't like water features. I run my bubblers and scuppers all day every weekend during the pool season. I like the noise they provide, as they drown out ambient noise from the roads nearby. So I suppose that might play into it. The deck jets were for the kids, and I hate them. I wouldn't install them again. Way too noisy.

Sheers may require filtration, I don't know. My scuppers have large openings, so filtration is not necessary.

--Jeff

So I had a similar setup with a single pump. The worst part was to get enough flow out of the falls and bubblers the pump had to be on max which was a waste, else I could manually close valves which was a pain.

I had my cleaner portal capped off a good while back when the filter broke. I ended up using that line as my input and covered with a grate to keep little ones body/parts from being trapped. I then put a single speed $129 pump with 8800/gph and re-plumbed the return to falls and bubblers. Added a check valve to keep water close to pump to take dry run time down. And added a 1.5tee with 3/4 threaded female port to accommodate a $10 solenoid valve attached to my water hose to automate water fill. Been rocking ever since. I do not have a filter on it. There’s always a way cheaper option. It’s just a matter of integration and want to.

Jim doesn't like water features.
Jeff,

I agree it might seem like it, but I do like the 'look' of most water features, I just don't think that most people understand what the sound of Niagara falls in their backyard is going to sound like. :mrgreen:

My pull it out of my rear, absolutely no proof, estimate is that 50% of pool owners with water features don't actually use them much after the first year. I think it is something to be considered when building a pool, especially before spending thousands of dollars on water feature that you might not use.

I think a lot of pools, including mine, would be different, if we all had a new-build-mulligan. :)

Non-pool related case in point... My wife has a little Lexus hard-top convertible. First year, the top was down at least once a week. Second year it was down about once a month, third year, about 3 times. I am not sure if it was down in 2022 at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeff,

I agree it might seem like it, but I do like the 'look' of most water features, I just don't think that most people understand what the sound of Niagara falls in their backyard is going to sound like. :mrgreen:

My pull it out of my rear, absolutely no proof, estimate is that 50% of pool owners with water features don't actually use them much after the first year. I think it is something to be considered when building a pool, especially before spending thousands of dollars on water feature that you might not use.

I think a lot of pools, including mine, would be different, if we all had a new-build-mulligan. :)

Non-pool related case in point... My wife has a little Lexus hard-top convertible. First year, the top was down at least once a week. Second year it was down about once a month, third year, about 3 times. I am not sure if it was down in 2022 at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Had to give you some grief. ;)

It's a fair point to be made. It's definitely one of the reasons I single out my deck jets when explaining them to people considering them. I had no idea they were so stinking noisy!

I like the new build mulligan idea. How can we make that a thing? :laughblue:

And I'll bet you are probably pretty close to correct on your estimation.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.