Texas Tony

Apr 9, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I asked my son to put in 32 oz of Muriatic Acid into my pool to drop the PH....

He's 21 , so I would think I wouldn't have to ask him to make sure he grabs the right bottle. ...

Instead he grabs the Zep Driveway and Concrete cleaner and adds 32 oz of that. I guess the good thing is he used proper PPE.

What now? Are they able to go in the pool? Did he just screw up my end of season pool use?

Thanks in advance, I'm not physically at home so I can't laugh and hurt him at the same time.

Ugh...

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I would suspect it is acidic and has a surfactant. So may foam up. That amount in 20K of water is luckily pretty diluted.

I attempted to get a SDS but the only current one in their database was in spanish.

Not much else to do but manage it. Run tests and see what it did to your pool water chemistry. May have to clean the tile line, skimmer, and filter if the surfactant messes them up.

Reactions: Texas Tony
I would suspect it is acidic and has a surfactant. So may foam up. That amount in 20K of water is luckily pretty diluted.

I attempted to get a SDS but the only current one in their database was in spanish.

Not much else to do but manage it. Run tests and see what it did to your pool water chemistry. May have to clean the tile line, skimmer, and filter if the surfactant messes them up.
Thanks, I'm hopeful it will be fine. I'll keep checking the PH. All I wanted to do was go swimming tonight 😂😂😂

I found the ingredients list, for DEP Driveway & concrete cleaner. Hopefully one of the real chemist's will be able to help you. Screenshot_20230827_151728_Chrome.jpg

Sodim Hydroxide would be my biggest concern. Sodium Hydroxide increases PH, but I cannot tell you how much of an effect on the PH 32 Oz of a cleaner wirh a 5-10% concentration would have on your PH I A 20K pool.

Can you post your current PH?

I hope this helps:

Nothing comes up with that link.

No issue. It appears to be a mild caustic with some surfactants.
I get a download from that link to the MSDS in English.

That's what it looks like to me, but I have a limited chemistry background in industrial water treatment, potable water treatment and sewage water treatment. We used sodium hydroxide to re-generate demineralizers and treat waste water PH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found the ingredients list, for DEP Driveway & concrete cleaner. Hopefully one of the real chemist's will be able to help you. View attachment 525492

Sodim Hydroxide would be my biggest concern. Sodium Hydroxide increases PH, but I cannot tell you how much of an effect on the PH 32 Oz of a cleaner wirh a 5-10% concentration would have on your PH I A 20K pool.

Can you post your current PH?
Ok, so we checked the PH before the screw up, it was 8.0. I got home an hour ago, it was darker than the 8.0, so I put in 60 oz of Muriatic Acid. Checked it about an hour later and it's down to 7.4. Main reason I put extra, was trying to lower my TA as well. No extra suds in the pool so far. I'll keep an eye on it and thanks for all the fast responses and help!

So I asked my son to put in 32 oz of Muriatic Acid into my pool to drop the PH....

He's 21 , so I would think I wouldn't have to ask him to make sure he grabs the right bottle. ...

Instead he grabs the Zep Driveway and Concrete cleaner and adds 32 oz of that. I guess the good thing is he used proper PPE.

What now? Are they able to go in the pool? Did he just screw up my end of season pool use?

Thanks in advance, I'm not physically at home so I can't laugh and hurt him at the same time.

Ugh...
Wait, they still do these things at 21? Here I am holding out hope for my 17 yo son. Guess I should let it go...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.