Help do the math please...

Jun 13, 2014
TX
I have completely refilled my pool being it is a totally new above ground pool It has 6,818 gallons of salt water in it and no CYA. That is right. I have not added any conditioner yet. I went to that place who's name will not be mentioned and bought a 4-lb. tub of their branded conditioner. The directions say that 2.5-lb.s of their product will provide 30 PPM of conditioner to 10,000 gallons of water. My math says tells me that I can add all 4-lb.s of conditioner and that I'd get somewhere between 70-80 PPM of CYA. My goal is 70 ppm. So based on the given information, how much of this 4-lb.tub of conditioner should I put in the pool to make 6,800 gallons of high-sun exposed salt water have 70 ppm of CYA? The pool calculator says to add 64 oz.s by weight of conditioner to go from zero ppm to 70 ppm of CYA.

Anyone here want to show their math skills? My numbers say 4 lb.s will provide 60 ppm to 8,000 gallons. Makes me think the pool calculator is right but I'm mad at myself for not being able to figure out how to double-check the math myself.

Thanks in advance.

You can bet on PoolMath 7 days a week :)

If you'd like to do your own calculations for CYA, parts per million = "concentration" times "lbs added" divided by "lbs of water" times 1,000,000. You can use 8.3 lbs per gallon for the water and be very close, though it's likely more like 8.33. The CYA you buy is pure enough that you can use 100% fr the concentration or if you like, whatever is listed on the bag (for example 0.995)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.