Help! DE filter continues to have high pressure.

Well, pool pumps can not run a high enough pressure to break anything. Pool equipment is rated over 50psi.

Still does not explain why it is higher than you previously observed though.

Well, pool pumps can not run a high enough pressure to break anything. Pool equipment is rated over 50psi.

Really? I didn't know that. I assumed too much pressure could send something blowing sky high. When I first moved in here and knew even less about pools than I do now something happened to the pool filter one day and water was spraying everywhere. I thought the pool guy told me I caused it by letting the pressure get too high, but I could be wrong. I do remember the $900 repair bill VERY clearly. :)

I mentioned earlier that when the pump starts I see water shooting out of the jets in the pool. I'm not sure I see it coming from all jets. Is there anyway that a partial blockage of some sort could be causing this?

Certainly. Something blocked after the filter is the only other way for higher than normal pressure if the filter internals are fine.

I had a filter crack at my previous house under reasonable pressure. Weird fluke that was replaced under warranty. Some people's pool normally run at 30+psi when they have a large pump and small plumbing or in-floor cleaning systems (although it is not usually that high).

OK. So blocked after the filter. Hmmmm? I guess I'll go out tomorrow in the daylight and follow the pipes and see what all that might mean. I am assuming I'm going to first of all, allow the pool to go ahead and run, at least for a short while, and not worry that the filter is going to explode. :) then check flow from all jets in the pool and see how the flow is. If I find little flow in any of the jets I assume there is a blockage of some sort. How would I determine where the blockage could be and how to clear it? Things are beginning to sound complicated. Do most pools have some sort of clean out that I need to be aware of for clearing any such blockages?

Also, am I correct in thinking that for there to be a blockage after the filter that whatever is causing the blockage apparently got past the skimmer baskets into the system, past the basket that catches debris near the pumps and also all the way through the filter and sent back out toward the pool. Is that the path things would have taken?

I haven't tried that. Help me understand what that would do or tell me. If grids were out and the pressure was still high, would that indicate blockage and not a problem with the grids?

Correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course all this speculation is based on your statement that 30psi is "too high" or higher than "normal" ... when in fact 30psi might actually be normal. And your previously lower pressure was due to a problem on the suction side.

Ok. so I've been out working on the pool this afternoon and have an update.

I first cleaned all skimmer baskets thoroughly as well as the basket near the pumps. I then started the pump and let it run. Pressure climbed to nearly 40. (I was wrong telling I thought it was about 30.) Checking the jets in the pool I have very strong output in the three jets closest to the pump, less output at the far corner of the pool, but I'm thinking that may be normal because it is much further away from the pump? I began adding DE through the skimmer basket closest to the pumps. I added it dry directly into the skimmer as I was taught to do and have always done. Shortly later I notice powdered DE spraying from the pool jets. That's never happened before.

I shut everything off, took apart the filter, removed the entire grid system, and put the filter back together. Without the grid the filter pressure still goes just as high.

One other thing I want to mention, not sure what, if anything, it means but it is different. When backwashing there is a handle which i turn and pull up. The pump is off when I turn and lift the handle. When I turn the pump back on, there is suction which pulls the handle back down. I have to turn, pull up, then turn back to lock it in place to prevent it from closing. It never used to have this suction where I had to do this.

I am struggling to see where you have a problem (besides the DE spraying into the pool). If you have a clog, you would read high pressure and low flow into the pool. Sounds like you have strong flow with would be correct for a higher pressure.

Are you sure the gauge is not just bad? Or you incorrectly remember the pressure being less?
Or you fixed something on the suction side that now allows you to have higher flow and pressure?

I definitely used to have only about 10 pressure after cleaning. That would climb to about 20 before I would backwash. This is definitely new. I haven't changed anything. I barely ran the pump all winter. It came on only when the freeze guard kicked in.

I replaced the gauge. Both could be bad I suppose. The gauge does drop to zero when turned off.

Maybe I don't have a problem. I was worried about damaging the filter or the grids from such high pressure. That is what I've been led to believe in the past would happen from local pool experts who I called out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If there is a way to check this backwash valve I would take it off or open it up and check it. It may be partially closing when it should be open or visa versa with the effect of restricting flow and adding pressure like placing your thumb over a water hose increases the pressure and the force at which the water leaves the hose. That could be blowing the DE through the grids instead of allowing them to coat the surface.

I just did a check on the backwash valve. I removed screws and pulled it out. While it was out I turned on the motor and ran a little water through in case anything was dislodging. I didn't see anything obvious that looked to be a problem. Put it back together and the pressure is still high.

You've said high pressure won't hurt the tank of the filter. What about the grids? Should I just put everything back together and run it? Can it hurt anything?

- - - Updated - - -

Would repairing a Polaris pool sweep change anything? I had the sweeper unit itself, not the pump in for repair last month.

The Polaris has it's own booster pump - that shouldn't be relative at all. DE blowing through is never normal and indicates something definitely wrong with the internals of the filter - or the multiport valve. Something is broken or a part is missing or something... racking my brain.

I just went through a very similar troubleshooting process--pressure stayed high in the filter after cleaning, and not enough suction on the line to run my Kreepy Krauly. Since I had already noticed cracks in the housing of my multiport valve leaking, I assumed it was the point of failure, but piping the pump directly to the return line did not fix anything. Several sacrificed PVC fittings later, I finally got around to removing the eyeballs--each was clogged with bits of broken plastic (my best guess is they're from broken pieces of filter grid). During cleaning, I had noticed a few broken ribs in the filter, but the socks were all intact, so I didn't think much of it.

I just wanted to post an update. I ended up calling out a pool professional because I felt I was at the end of my abilities and needed the help. They replaced the backwash valve and all is well. This had been suggested earlier in this thread and I had taken it apart and looked at it. Obviously I didn't know enough about what I was looking at to realize that it was not operating as it should. I appreciate all the help. At least when I did finally need to call someone out I had already been through a lot and eliminated a lot of potential problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.