Help! Cut cable to flow switch

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
My husband was trying to help a neighbor who is out of town by trimming some of their weeds. He accidentally cut the cable to the flow switch for their SWG. When he pulled the switch out the silver metal piece must have fallen off. He purchased a new flow switch at Pinch A Penny ($117 what a rip off) but the new one wouldn't fit in the tee. He couldn't see that there was anything in the pipe to get in the way but could not get the new one in. He ended up tearing the silver piece on the new one trying to screw it in. Ugh! He's not the most handy guy (never mind that I specifically told him to be careful of the cable). Without this the pool won't get chlorine right? They are coming back tomorrow and he'd like to have this fixed for them. Any idea why he couldn't get the switch to screw in? I watched several videos and it looks like it should be right in. Now he's got to buy a whole other switch and try again. Hints? Thoughts? Doghouses available for him to sleep in tonight?

This is no help if the cable is sliced off right at the flow switch, but if there's some cable left on each side of the cut, you could perhaps put the original flow-switch back in and re-join the cable. If not, I'd be inclined to buy the intended part and re-install.

To do it, turn off the power and slide a length of heat shrink tubing over one free end of the cut cable. Then strip the wires so there's about 1/2" to 3/4" of bare wire. After that, twist the wires together, then fold them back in opposite directions along the cable. Tape it tight with one wrap of electrical tape, and then test to see if it works. To complete, slide the heat-shrink over the join and shrink it with a heat gun (or hair dryer). If you've never done it before, buy 3 pieces of heat-shrink and a short length of slightly similar cable to practice on. You can also slide two pieces of heat-shrink over the wire so you have a spare, and if you don't need it, slice it lengthwise to remove it.

I just replaced my flow switch after my lawn guy pulled the wires out of the switch. I tried to repair it myself but it didn't work.

I ordered from the manufacturer of my cell and later found out that most of these are universal. It was as difficult as screwing in a light bulb and plugging in a telephone wire. Make sure to use pipe tape to ensure a air/watertight seal. The flow switch has to screw in so that it is pointed in the right direction.

Here is a video: How To: Replace an Aqua Rite Flow Switch - YouTube

You can buy one online from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GLX-FLO-RP-Assembly-Replacement-Chlorine-Generators/dp/B0030E3US2/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0030E3US2&pd_rd_r=N2DAPQKDHKGR62JA4HZN&pd_rd_w=Ouj0g&pd_rd_wg=pBytY&psc=1&refRID=N2DAPQKDHKGR62JA4HZN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.