Help Choosing Hayward SP3215X20 Impeller

Sep 25, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
I am in need of replacing the impeller on my SP3215X20. It has a 2HP "Max Rated" motor. The current impeller in it is a SPX3215C. However, in the manual (https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/TriStar.pdf), it lists this part as being a "Impeller for 1 ½ HP with Impeller Screw". When I go to the parts diagram on Hayward's site (Hayward | TriStar Max Rated Pump | Replacement Parts Diagram), it lists the SPX3215C as being correct stating it is a "2 HP MR Impeller w/ screw". When I click on that link, it take me to the part where it is named "Impeller-1-1/2Hp W/Screw". I am getting a bit confused. Not sure if I should just replace it with the same part or if Hayward realized it wasn't optimum for 2HP and down-rated it. Unfortunately, they do not list another part for a 2HP Max-Rated pump. The only other one I see that may work is SPX3220C which is listed as "Impeller for 2 HP with Impeller Screw (Full Rate)". Can anyone help?

The SPX3215C impeller is correct.

The exact same pump is labeled as two different pumps with different horsepowers, which is really stupid.

The SP3215X20 is listed as a 2 hp Max Rated pump with a h.p of 2.0, a S.F (Service Factor) of 1.1 and a total hp of 2.2 (total hp = rated hp x S.F)

The SP3215EE is listed as a 1.5 hp Full Rated pump with a rated h.p of 1.5, a S.F (Service Factor) of 1.6 and a total hp of 2.4 (total hp = rated hp x S.F)

Note that these two pumps are the same exact pump in every detail except the label.

They use the same impeller.

Unless you really need the full power, I would go with a smaller impeller.

You can go with a SPX3207C (1.25 total HP) or a SPX3210C (1.65 total HP) if you are OK with reduced flow and reduced power usage.

Below, you can see the curves for each impeller.

Max Rate TriStar Curve.png

The SPX3215C impeller is correct.

The exact same pump is labeled as two different pumps with different horsepowers, which is really stupid.

The SP3215X20 is listed as a 2 hp Max Rated pump with a h.p of 2.0, a S.F (Service Factor) of 1.1 and a total hp of 2.2 (total hp = rated hp x S.F)

The SP3215EE is listed as a 1.5 hp Full Rated pump with a rated h.p of 1.5, a S.F (Service Factor) of 1.6 and a total hp of 2.4 (total hp = rated hp x S.F)

Note that these two pumps are the same exact pump in every detail except the label.

They use the same impeller.

Unless you really need the full power, I would go with a smaller impeller.

You can go with a SPX3207C (1.25 total HP) or a SPX3210C (1.65 total HP) if you are OK with reduced flow and reduced power usage.

Below, you can see the curves for each impeller.

View attachment 337550
Thanks for the info, James. I did notice that while my current impeller is labelled SPX3215C, it is also stamped 15C2 on the other side. The pictures I am seeing online show a stamping of 15C1. I am sure I am overthinking this. Hopefully I can find these parts locally...seems like no one carries parts for any Hayward equipment I own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.