Help choosing between side suction/plugged in

shannonck

Aug 9, 2019
Ocean County, New Jersey
Hi there! We have a vinyl 18x36 Grecian shape with an 8 foot deep end. Pool came with a Polaris 280 side suction- two summers ago we replaced motor. Opened pool and found the mice got to the hose of the Polaris.

I’m overwhelmed by the amount of options of where I go from here. So many dolphins & Polaris options- do I keep the side suction and worry about the motor dying again (it is annoying bc i have to remember to turn the pump off before the filter turns off) . Friends reccomend dolphin but there seems to be 100 models and I’ve got analysis paralysis right now! Plus I don’t want to spend 2k! Please help!

For clarification, a Polaris 280 is a pressure side cleaner that uses a booster pump. The main filter pump must be on when using the booster pump/cleaner. I think this is what you currently have.

The Polaris 280 has been around for decades - reliable, easy to maintain but costly in terms of energy because it uses a booster pump in addition to the main filter pump.
There are many options on the forum if you can search. There are corded robots from Maytronics and other vendors, there are cordless robots from Aiper and Beatbot (2 examples) and then a host of Polaris or similar cleaners to replace the Polaris 280 such as the Polaris Quattro which has good reviews.

You do not need to spend $2k but if you do - look at the AquaSense cordless robot - it is the newest to come to market.

Thanks for the info! I guess ultimately I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to buy another side suction or go with the corded. I’ll look through some old posts and see - thanks!
I have had a Polaris 280 for over 15 years. Can't tell you how many times I rebuilt it and changed out parts. There is a thread on Aiper Cordless Robot. I just purchased it and waiting on delivery. I never liked the idea of a corded robot - I was just exchanging a hose for a cord. But the reviews (by other members) have been good so I purchased the Scuba 1 for under $500.

Thanks for the info! I guess ultimately I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to buy another side suction or go with the corded. I’ll look through some old posts and see - thanks!
Side suction? Not sure what that is. Your 280 is a pressure-side (talking about which side of the pool plumbing it is attached to) booster-pump cleaner.
What filter pump do you have now? Why do you not have a second timeclock to control it? That's what is suppose to be in place and is less expensive than repairing/replacing booster pumps, and using excess energy. Can be set to run only during the time the filter-pump runs. Also will allow the cleaner to run the recommended amount of time it takes to clean the pool. Any longer just wears the cleaner out faster.