help, brand new to pools!!!

Albert said:
which is the skimmer pipe? i will attach another photo

Go to a skimmer. Remove the cover, remove the skimmer basket, and at the bottom there should be a pipe. That is the pipe I am talking about.

Sometimes there are two pipes in the skimmer, and then it is a little tricky to know which one is the right one. Sometimes there is a cover like thing on the pipe that many need to be removed for this to work.

ok fixed the skimmer pressure problem (i think) water is flowing from the returns so i assume that its fixed. now i tested the chlorine level and its a 0.4 which is still low so should i get some chlorine increaser and that will clean out the cloudy water?

Do you have a test kit? If not you can get your water tested at a pool store. You need to check to see if any of your chemical balance needs to be adjusted. Right now you need to know what your CYA level is so you know how much bleach to add.

i just have a little pH/cL test kit and those strips that have about 6 little things on them that turn colors when you dip them in the water. the ph level is just a little bit above ideal but not too much but as far as the yellow side (chlorine) went it was really low

Albert said:
i just have a little pH/cL test kit and those strips that have about 6 little things on them that turn colors when you dip them in the water. the ph level is just a little bit above ideal but not too much but as far as the yellow side (chlorine) went it was really low

On May 20, you posted that the pool store test said CYA 0 (zero) so unless you have added some, it is still zero.

Use Jason's Pool Calc (link in my sig) to calculate the amount of bleach/chlorine to add.

It would also be helpful if you would list all your pool and equipment info in your sig.

You will need to add some CYA, cyanuric acid (sometimes called stabalizer or conditioner). You can find that at most Lowes, HD's, Walmart or pool store.

Until you get a good test kit (recomend TF Test Kits, link in my sig) take your water back to the pool store for a full test and post back w/the numbers :wink:

ok i edited my signature i have stabalizer like 20 some odd pounds of it on hand. ok i took the water to get tested and here are the results
stab: is ok
ask: i think is dangerously high its 240
pH: also very high it is 8.4
Chlorine free: is somewhere in between .5-1 ppm
total chlorine: 1 ppm haha
when i brought the water home i put in about 3 pounds of decreaser and thens shocked it one more time because the water was just a cloudy white. now what do i do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to bring the PH down, if you haven't already. Try to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

You said "stab: is ok". Do you know the number? The amount of chlorine you need to use depends on your CYA/stabilizer level, so you need to know the number. Remember that you need to add chlorine every day.

You said "ask: i think is dangerously high its 240". Was that supposed to be Alk, alkalinity? Bringing the PH down will lower the alkalinity, which is often called TA. Measure it again when the PH is at a more reasonable level and we can see if it needs to come down some more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.