Apr 24, 2024
chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
First season with a pool that came with the house we just bought.
I think I’m getting close to getting things right but wanted some recommendations with chlorine and CYA.
I bought a taylor K1004 test kit before coming here and didn’t realize it didn’t test CYA. Bought strips for CYA and also brought my water to the pool store just out of curiosity.
I’ll buy the $80 kit if I have to but was hoping I could get away without it since I already spent $30 on a test kit.
I’ve shocked my pool the past 2 nights by adding 80 oz of liquid chlorine per the pool math app.
Here are my current levels using my test kit:
FC: >.5 (color turned just barely pinker than clear)
TC: .5
pH: 7.2
TA: 60
Result from the pool store said CYA is 5 ppm but the test strip looked more in the 30-50 range so now I feel like I don’t trust either of those and will need to get another kit (can I buy just the CYA testing part since I already have a kit for Chlorine and alkalinity?)
My pool water looks clear and lovely.
I do have a chlorine tablet floater with two 3” tabs in there right now just because since I’m just starting I thought I’d need to up my CYA. I know it’s not the best way to add chlorine in the long run but should I leave it in for now?
What would be your recommendations?
It’s warm and sunny today so I’m worried if my CYA is low adding any liquid chlorine right now would be useless. Is that a correct assumption or should I add chlorine before night time?
I bought some CYA and I think I’ve got all the proper chemicals I’ll need, I just wanted to hop on here and ask for some experienced advice.
Thank you all in advance!

Result from the pool store said CYA is 5 ppm but the test strip looked more in the 30-50 range so now I feel like I don’t trust either of those and will need to get another kit (can I buy just the CYA testing part since I already have a kit for Chlorine and alkalinity?)
Go to tftestkits.net to purchase just the CYA test. See link Cyanuric Acid (CYA)
Don’t trust strips or a pool store test.

I do have a chlorine tablet floater with two 3” tabs in there right now just because since I’m just starting I thought I’d need to up my CYA. I know it’s not the best way to add chlorine in the long run but should I leave it in for now?
What would be your recommendations?
It’s warm and sunny today so I’m worried if my CYA is low adding any liquid chlorine right now would be useless. Is that a correct assumption or should I add chlorine before night time?
Add liquid chlorine to reach minimum 5ppm of FC. use the Pool Math app for your pool volume. Add now and keep adding until CYA can be raised. You can keep the floater in the pool to fully dissolve the pucks you have in it.

I bought some CYA and I think I’ve got all the proper chemicals I’ll need, I just wanted to hop on here and ask for some experienced advice.
Thank you all in advance!
Did you purchase granular stabilizer or liquid? Grandular is less expensive and should be added to a sock to hang in front of a return. Squeeze the sock ever so often. It may take 48 hrs or more to full register the increase in CYA. Also, add in stages. Target 50 CYA but initially add stabilizer to reach 40ppm. Let it mix for couple of days, test and if needed top up to reach 50ppm of CYA. You do not want to overshoot CYA which is why we do it in stages.

Go to tftestkits.net to purchase just the CYA test. See link Cyanuric Acid (CYA)
Don’t trust strips or a pool store test.

Add liquid chlorine to reach minimum 5ppm of FC. use the Pool Math app for your pool volume. Add now and keep adding until CYA can be raised. You can keep the floater in the pool to fully dissolve the pucks you have in it.

Did you purchase granular stabilizer or liquid? Grandular is less expensive and should be added to a sock to hang in front of a return. Squeeze the sock ever so often. It may take 48 hrs or more to full register the increase in CYA. Also, add in stages. Target 50 CYA but initially add stabilizer to reach 40ppm. Let it mix for couple of days, test and if needed top up to reach 50ppm of CYA. You do not want to overshoot CYA which is why we do it in stages.
Great, thank you so much!
I will purchase that CYA kit and add chlorine today. I purchased granular CYA.
Once I get the chlorine up to 5ppm any reason I can’t get in it today?

Is it because it only goes up to 5?
It is a DPD test. Color matching. Not accurate and it cannot go above 5 ppm TC.

I believe once you try to purchase the CYA and FAS-DPD kits separately, for only a few dollars more, you can get a full TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Reactions: HermanTX
It is a DPD test. Color matching. Not accurate and it cannot go above 5 ppm TC.

I believe once you try to purchase the CYA and FAS-DPD kits separately, for only a few dollars more, you can get a full TF100 from TFTestkits.net.
Got it. Yeah i was hoping to not have to buy the whole kit but it sounds like I might as well at this point.
I added some liquid chlorine about an hour ago and with my current test kit it looks like FC is around 2 and TC is around 2
pH is still 7.2
Any reason not to jump in?
It’s 80° and I’ve been working my butt off on this pool and I’m ready! Haha

Have you added any stabilizer of any form?

I would suggest getting FC to at least 3 ppm. But up to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support