Help (already)

JeffSlaton12

Apr 3, 2023
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
So I’m already frustrated because seems algae has already started and the summer has just started. Seems like I am spending a lot on liquid chlorine. Pool is cloudy and green tint. I added about 3 inches of water 2 days ago and my CYA is increasing. It is 80, FC is 2.5, PH is ~7.6, 27k gallon above ground pool. Will perform the OCLT tonight, but am real tempted to give up and do the Pool Rx thing. Any suggestions?

Jeff,

I'm sorry this has happened.

Looking through your logs, it looks like you were doing great through April 30th. You FC was nice and high, then it went south. Can you help with what happened?

You should always maintain your FC to match your CYA. Link-->FC/CYA Levels Adding chlorine daily is a must...your pool uses FC everyday..

You got below minimums and now have algae.

CYA can't increase unless you have added it, it is not naturally occurring. Are you using pucks to chlorinate? It is also possible the cloudy in your pool is messing with the results.

As @MITBeta indicated, it is time for a SLAM.

If you maintain your FC for your CYA, you shouldn't get algae...

I am not using any pucks, only liquid chlorine. Should I forget the OCLT and just start the SLAM? Also for the SLAM it says to vacuum everyday, vacuum to waste? I hope not because it gets rid of a lot of water.
If I have to maintain the FC to my CYA then I’m guessing I would have to check CYA everyday too? Checking CYA is the hardest for me, I feel it floats around a lot because of thinking (or not thinking) I see that dang black dot.

I'd SLAM. You can vacuum to filter.

Backwash your filter now. Note clean pressure. When pressure rises 25% backwash again. Stay on top of this.

CYA check in my house is every two weeks or so...doesn't go away fast...like 5-10ppm a month.

The rising CYA may be because of particulates in the water. You had a good couple CYA tests when you were managing the pool that were 60. Use that for your slam.

Last night added chlorine to bring up to 9, checked this morning and it was 7.5, added to bring up to 9. I tried to vacuum to waste this afternoon but it just shot the stuff back in pool so I had to vacuum to waste. Had to shut off pump until got enough water added back in. Checked and level was 4.5, added to get back to 9. Will check in morning to see what level is

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.