Help added pH increaser by mistake!

If your pool is clear and you keep your chlorine above minimum and below shock level for your CYA of 30 and your PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 then you can swim.

The Chlorine CYA Chart shows that for CYA of 30 the minimum chlorine level is 2, target is 4 and shock is 12. So you should try to keep your chlorine level at 4 or 5 at all times. But, you can swim up to 12. Use Pool School - PoolMath to calculate how much liquid chlorine to add.

Yes, it is possible to have algae and not see it. That is the first stage, filter clogs fast and high chlorine consumption. 2nd stage cloudy water and slimy pool walls. Third stage green pool.

So, to get rid of the algae bloom you need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool.

If you have CYA in the pool and your FC goes down that fast then you have algae. You have just managed to keep it at bay enough that your pool didn't turn green. By raising your FC that high, you have already started the SLAM process. You need to keep it up there the best you can until you meet all 3 criteria. Quit before all three are fully met and you will be starting over from scratch in a week or 2.

Scrubbing very often is important in the slam. Also removing light fixtures and ladders and cleaning the hidden spaces behind them is as well.

Well, I'm not sure I can maintain this. Seems like when I go to work I lose a lot of momentum in the process. I've spent more opening the pool this year than the past 2 years combined. I've already spent over $100 on just liquid chlorine and still need more. I did maintain some chlorine overnight for the first time, the pool cleared up a bit overnight last night and this morning. Still waiting for my new test kit. Last night when I went to bed around 1:15 am my "pieced together" readings from my test kit and strips (I know, I know, but my test kit only tells me so much!)

TC = 10+ apprx
FC = 20
pH = 7.2
TA = 120
CYA = 30-50

This morning at 7:30 am

TC = 3-5 apprx
FC = 2-3 apprx

I added 2 1/2 gallons of liquid chlorine (10%), because that's all I had on hand

When I left for work @ 8:50 am

TC = 10+ apprx
FC = 15-20
pH = 7.8
TA = 120
CYA = 30-50

My husband is ready to throw in the towel and go back to the pool store. He said if we have algae, we need algaecide and that by the time I spend another $100 on liquid chlorine, a bottle of algaecide would already have us swimming.

Not sure what to do at this point. I feel like I've gone too far to stop now, but I also don't know how much more $$$ I can spend on this process??

Last edited:
Keep doing what you are doing. You will spend hundreds of dollars at the pool store trying to get it cleared. They will tell you add algecides. Then when you go back they will say you have metals in your water and sell you something else.

You can clear your pool with liquid chlorine or household bleach. Look at the link to My Slam Process in my signature. You will see it works. I had already spent a lot of money prior to finding TFP. Once I bought my TF 100 test kit and converted to TFP methods I was so happy.

My husband is ready to throw in the towel and go back to the pool store. He said if we have algae, we need algaecide and that by the time I spend another $100 on liquid chlorine, a bottle of algaecide would already have us swimming.

Not sure what to do at this point. I feel like I've gone too far to stop now, but I also don't know how much more $$$ I can spend on this process??

Just so you know ... and can pass it along to your husband algaecide does not kill algae. It is intended to prevent it from occurring.

Well just when I was ready to give up, we had a break through today. I can finally see my liner and I only have one small white spot on the bottom. I'm brushing and adding chlorine every 2 hours. It's finally holding chlorine and I feel like I'm making progress. Hopefully my test kit will be here tomorrow and I can know when to stop and just maintain. Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for my impatience...one of my shortcomings! and I'm a natural skeptic, so I'm hardheaded about some things. ;)

11390471_10153536123439155_6107360536419428256_n.jpg

Well just when I was ready to give up, we had a break through today. I can finally see my liner and I only have one small white spot on the bottom. I'm brushing and adding chlorine every 2 hours. It's finally holding chlorine and I feel like I'm making progress. Hopefully my test kit will be here tomorrow and I can know when to stop and just maintain. Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for my impatience...one of my shortcomings! and I'm a natural skeptic, so I'm hardheaded about some things. ;)

View attachment 38140
:party::cool::splash::goodjob::whoot::cheers::sunny::snorkle:

By the weekend that pool is going to sparkle. Invite someone over to swim just so you can see them freeze up and stare when they see it the first time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.