Marciweg

Jul 7, 2023
Chicago, il
I am looking forward to learning how to care for my pool. Although I have had a pool for many years, I have listened to too much wrong advice from the so called experts and did not educate myself. I have a blonde granddaughter whose hair always turns green and green swimwear from an algaecide I used, and would like to know if the only option is to drain the pool. Right now that option is too costly. I am ordering one of the pool tester kits that are recommended on your site and I’m looking forward to frequenting those pool stores less in the future. Glad to be here.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your description of hair changing color is common with copper which is found in many algaecides and some other pool products. We never recommend them for that very reason along with horrible staining. The only way to remove copper is by exchanging the water. If not a large part of water, at least enough to hopefully lower the copper content to the point it won't react with chlorine anymore.

Liquid chorine (or regular/plain bleach) is the best sanitizer unless you have a salt water generator. Maybe something to consider later?

A proper test kit, TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, is a must. No doubt about it. Get one now and it should last the remainder of this season and well into next.

Be sure to see our Pool Care Basics for tons of great articles about all of these topics. If you have any questions let us know.

Have a nice weekend. :swim:

Reactions: Marciweg