Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello TFP community,

We had our pool built ~1 year ago. The family has really been enjoying it this past season.

Details:
15'x30' Roman Style, 11.7k gallons, StoneScapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Sheet Waterfall, IntelliConnect Controls, Pentair IntelliFlo VSF, Pentair C&C+ Cartridge Filter 320sf, Built Right 135k Heat Pump, A&A In-Floor System, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 3x Pentair MicroBrite LED Lights.

I have never owned a pool before, so this has all been a learning experience for me. I stubbled across this website now in an attempt to take matters into my own hands after the pool store couldn't seem to help me with water chemistry issues.

Every since the summer hit (to date), I have been having problems with maintaining chlorine levels. According to pool store testing (and my own test strips), my chlorine levels are always eventually going to 0. I have the SWG, which I originally thought would mean I wouldn't ever have this problem. They suggest that my CYA is low and I need to add more stabilizer, then shock the pool with multiple gallons of liquid chlorine, and that should allow my SWG to "catch up". I have been doing a constant dance of this process, rinse and repeat, for the past 6 months or so. With my SWG set to 100%, my chlorine levels continue to go to 0 after the "shock" process normalizes. At this point, "the boss/expert" at the pool store tells me she hasn't ever seen this problem in her 20 years of taking care of pools and has no answers for me. Needless to say, I am a bit frustrated and now am looking for my own answers, which has brought me to TFP. I just ordered my TF-100 kit, have read over the pool school articles, and am eager to get started and hope to resolve these problems soon.

EDIT:

By the way, I tried adding my pool details to my signature, but I keep getting this error message:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to get a proper test kit and to begin to understand your pool water chemistry. You will be amazed how simple and inexpensive it is to maintain your pool.
When you get your kit, run a full set of test results and post them up in a thread in Just Getting Started.
Consider getting the PoolMath app too.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I just ordered my TF-100 kit,
Music to our ears. Great choice that will make a world of difference. Welcome to TFP! :wave: