Hello, my friends! I’m back, but I have issues…

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
Good afternoon! I hope you all are doing great! I’ve been dealing with injuries and mobility issues, so I haven’t been active here, and I’ve also let my pool get away from me, unfortunately.

We started the SLAM and see much improvement, but I got in today to brush and was surprised to find sandpaper walls and floor, as well as loose sand on bottom. From outside I just thought it was dead algae, and certainly that was part of it, but there is also quite a bit of sand. Yep, I’m thinking I’ve got a cracked lateral in my sand filter, which would explain the loose sand, but not the scale. And the scale is visible on my pool steps, same exact color as the sand. What the heck?

Latest numbers:

FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 30
CH 300
TA 100

I need to lower PH a bit to get TA a bit lower, but the numbers don’t seem too bad. So what the heck is going on with the scaling??

Photo of sand included for funsies. IMG_1502.jpegAnd unfortunately, I won’t be able to tackle the sand filter until I can get someone to help, so it will be a few days.

Also, pool temp today is 94 degrees! I’m just going to call it a giant hot tub.

Also, pool temp today is 94 degrees! I’m just going to call it a giant hot tub.
See if you can put a mesh bag on one of the returns to catch any sand. If you have active scaling, it may be calcium scale flakes and not sand. Did you lower the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM? Your TA doesn’t matter for anything except keeping the pH stable.

Glad to see you back!
If you have scale your scale might be stained from the organic matter - hopefully the stains will subside with the slam.
When your fc falls to 10 recheck ph & lower it to 7.2.
This should help with the scale if that’s what is going on.
Brush, brush, brush! You know the slam drill!
If you don’t have a mesh bag for the return try a skimmer sock.
When your help comes get them to pull those steps out so they can be cleaned thoroughly.

Reactions: kellyfair
Thank you all! I did lower PH to 7.2 before starting SLAM. I’ll let FC fall tomorrow while I am at work and test PH again when I get home. It’s funny - this pool isn’t nearly as stable as my old Intex when it comes to PH. I maybe had to add MA once a year, if that.

I got a new Dolphin and just let that run for the first time. (His name is Flipper). Look at the sand I dumped out of him just now! 😳 (Ignore the crappy yard).

IMG_3840.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
When your help comes get them to pull those steps out so they can be cleaned thoroughly.
Hello! You don’t know how much I want to get rid of those stairs! I wanted to add a deck last year, but life got in the way. Someday hopefully!

You too! How are you? Add anything new and amazing to your pool area? Last I saw was the beautiful deck you were adding!
Since the deck, just a SWG and a baby robot. We’re about as trouble-free as can be at this point!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okey doke, I let FC drop to 5 and tested PH. It was at 7.8, so I dropped it to 7.0 before bringing back to SLAM. It was raining so I didn’t try to mess with robot and return, will do that tomorrow if weather permits.

Reactions: Newdude
With a skimmer sock & a hair pony or rubber band it should be a quick procedure. Unscrew the jet put the end of the skimmer sock on the jet & wrap the rubber band around the threads & the sock. Fold the end of the sock back towards the pool & screw it in. To be honest though you might just wanna keep the filter on recirculate until you get it fixed because thats a lot of sand!
Then just keep running the robot & keep with slam.

Quick isn’t quick enough when there’s lightning everywhere!

I’m working from home tomorrow so can do more. On my in-office days I’m gone from 6:30am to 6:30-7pm.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Quick isn’t quick enough when there’s lightning everywhere!

I’m working from home tomorrow so can do more. On my in-office days I’m gone from 6:30am to 6:30-7pm.
Yeah-
don’t be out there getting fried! ⚡️ We just got u back!
I think maybe the recirculating option until its fixed may be the best way- as you’ll be out of sand before long if it’s dumping that much into the pool daily. That way you can still circulate the water & keep slamming. Do you have the pleated filter for your bot?

• Love
My Dolphin came with the Ultra Fine filter - works great!

Yeah, I’ll put on recirculate tomorrow. Otherwise I might as well just throw handfuls of sand into the pool. Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.