Elmuchachos

Jul 11, 2023
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. Been reading threads from time to time and got lots of useful info but finally joined because I have a question I needed some clarity on.

I was trying to figure out why my pentair challenger pump wasn’t working. I figured out it was a capacitor. Got it changed but I had separated the housing and pump in my process to figure out the issue. Was leaking when I put back together so I got a new housing oring. Even after new oring still drips at bottom and I have tried to reseat it so many times. Have a buddy (works on pools for a living) that’s going to come by in the next week to take a look.
And now when the pump turns off prime is lost and won’t come back when pump turns back on unless I add water to pump basket.

I changed out lid basket oring but hasn’t fixed issue. I am assuming the drip leak between housing and pump is why water leaves pump basket but wanted to get a sure answer that can cause the issue and isn’t something else. Assuming that’s been the only change I have to think that’s the issue.

Last edited:
Hey Nate,

Welcome to TFP, good to have you here :)

Sounds very much like new seals are needed. Watch a couple youtube videos on "replace pump seals" or even "repair pool pump seals" and you'll see what I mean. When you had it split you were almost there.

Post a thread with this question and people right up to date on pumps (unlike me!) will see it and help you out. Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing

Reactions: Elmuchachos