hello from NorCal, AND pool cover question

4merTadpole

Aug 22, 2022
Sonoma County, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been working to broaden my understanding of how my aging pool works to help us both do well.
My in-ground pool was built in 1966, and is on the edge of town, next to former cow pasture that is now "Open Space".
It is prone to algae infestations during the hot, dry months (August-October).
The pool is rectangular-ish, approx. 40’ long; ~20’ wide at ~3.5' deep shallow end to ~14’ wide at ~8' deep end.
There are 4 returns (one at each corner) plus a dedicated return for the pool sweep.

I really need to cover pool to minimize evaporation (drought!) and algae. Has anyone here tried using 6 mil "Panda" (black&white) type greenhouse cover on their pool? It seems like it should help starve the algae, as well as halt evaporation.
thanks for any feedback!

- 4merTadpole

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As a lifelong desert rat myself, I can confirm that a good cover can be quite valuable to reduce evaporation and help keep dust and debris off the water. I don't have experience this the Panda product you noted, but for algae specifically, you may have other problems. Your signature shows you use tabs/pucks to chlorinate, and if you've been using them on a regular basis your CYA could be so high the free chlorine cannot keep-up with it as you can see on our FC/CYA Levels. That is one issue that can lead to algae.

Another question we ask often here at TFP is how are you testing your water? Is it with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Can you provide a full set of water test results? We always start there. Be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for tons of great info and let us know if you have any questions about TFP recommendations. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

"Panda" type greenhouse covers are plastic sheeting that is black on one side and white on the other. It is used as a blackout covering to block light inside a greenhouse, while the white reverse side prevents overheating. This seems like an alternative to the phosphorus starvation methods I've seen in pool care. Thoughts?

Keeping your chemistry in check will be your best bet for preventing algae growth. Get a good test kit and read through the Pool school articles. A pool cover definitely helps with evaporation and lc usage.

Last edited: