Hello from Nor Cali...

Hayward/Goldline units are usually pretty accurate on salt levels over a large temperature range when operating properly. Try this:

First make sure the SWG Cell plug in the main unit is in and tight

Next, use menu button in the display to go to the Diagnostics Menu.

Click right arrow button

Click + button (above menu)

After the SWG turns on and the numbers stabilize, write down Volts, Amps, Salt and Temperature

Repeat above procedure and write down the numbers again.

Post both sets here
10f3bdadd414a686c31277b3eb10f68e.jpg

a41638984843acebeb9f0d326db38918.jpg

Both times, it was bouncing between 2300 and 2400 constantly.

Is the water temperature actually 60F? Seems pretty low given mine is in the high 70s. What does the normal water temperature sensor read?

No idea how you figured that out. Alright, changing it now. Now I'm worried other things on here weren't configured properly. Never even been inside the configuration menu. Just figured out how to unlock it today.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just the waiting game now to see if everything rebalances itself and starts reading correctly?

The diagnostic menu should have the correct salt level right now. The rest of the numbers should remain about the same.

If you want to reset the average salt level, from the first diagnostic menu, press the right arrow button again, and then the plus button. That will save the instantaneous salt level to the average salt level.

The diagnostic menu should have the correct salt level right now. The rest of the numbers should remain about the same.

If you want to reset the average salt level, from the first diagnostic menu, press the right arrow button again, and then the plus button. That will save the instantaneous salt level to the average salt level.

Done. The diagnostic salt level is now reading 3500 which is less than the tested 4200, but I'm guessing the low temp is messing with it. In any case, it's not reading low anymore, the check system light has cleared, and the chlorinator is remaining on.

What is the difference between the salt level reading from the "Default Menu" and the salt level reading from the "Diagnostics Menu"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the difference between the salt level reading from the "Default Menu" and the salt level reading from the "Diagnostics Menu"?
The Diagnostic menu has the instantaneous salt level (only while running) while the default menu has an average salt level (averaged over several cycles).

Also, the cell has it's own temperature sensor and sometimes that will differ from the true water temperature for various reasons so the salt level readout can be affected by that.

BTW, what speed are your running the pump while testing the readout?

Mark in for the win! THANKS!

:kim:
Seriously, this group has been awesome. Thanks everyone!

Beyond the frustration of not getting any support from them for two weeks since the salt was installed, now this is making me even more angry at the installers. Seems like such a difficult thing to have overlooked. I'm really quite concerned as to what else wasn't configured properly. Guess we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

The Diagnostic menu has the instantaneous salt level (only while running) while the default menu has an average salt level (averaged over several cycles).

Also, the cell has it's own temperature sensor and sometimes that will differ from the true water temperature for various reasons so the salt level readout can be affected by that.
All of that makes sense. Thanks.

BTW, what speed are your running the pump while testing the readout?
50%, which was what they recommended, but now I'm questioning everything.

Just an update in case anyone cares.

FC3.2 ppm
CC0.2 ppm
pH7.9
TA70 ppm
CH210 ppm
CYA55 ppm
Salt4000 ppm
Temp70 ˚F

The SWG is currently reading salt levels at 3600 ppm, so there's a discrepancy there that I'll have to figure out. Going through this problem has given me a lot of clarity, but what I still can't wrap my head around is how did adding one 40 lbs bag of salt to a 22k gallon pool raise the salt level from 2700 ppm to 4000 ppm. I would say there is human error somewhere in there, but tests before and after were done multiple times by multiple parties through various methods. Oh well. I wont keep me up at night and I guess I'll just move on.

Last edited:
4000ppm on the K-1766 and 3600ppm on the AquaRite is "good enough for Government work". The cell's salinity measure is nothing more than a conductivity meter and so it can be off by as much as 200ppm. The K-1766 is only good to +/-1 drop which, for the standard test sample, is +/-200ppm. So you're within the MOE for testing being done.

Glad to see you cell working.

SOOOOOOO now that we have "introduced" you to the forum. Is there anything else you need help with or need to know? Funny how some threads take on a life of their own LOL

Hah! Well, not right now. I really need to just go through all of the school contents before I ask anymore questions. Everyone has been super helpful, way more helpful than anything I've gotten from the resources I SHOULD have been able to rely on here, so I'm very thankful for that. I'll do a bit more reading and, as things come up, I'll post in the appropriate forum.

Thanks everyone!

Roguegeek, we are neighbors! We live in WC, Ca. and I just had my pool redone about 3-4 years ago also. I’m also looking at a TCell. Getting tired of treating or draining the pool by 1/3 for the CYA!

When you need to replace your SWG you might want to think of a bigger sized one, like the 40k GLX Extended Life. Makes me wonder if your installer is actually qualified and in tune with SWG...

The reason being, and anyone can question this, is that I think I read on this website, that when you size the Tcell it should be 1.5 to 3 times the gallons of your pool. Ie: 22,000 gal x 1.5 = 33,000 TCell, which would be the 40,000 TCell or the Extended Life, 40,000 gal Turbo Cell, that makes 725# of chlorine in lifetime.

Here is the listing of the Hayward TCells and what they produce in chlorine over a lifetime:

Extended Life TurboCell
TCELL940 40,000 gallons 725 lbs.*

Hayward TurboCell
T-CELL-15 40,000 gallons 580 lbs.*

Extended Life TurboCell
TCELL925 25,000 gallons 480 lbs.*

Hayward TurboCell
T-CELL-9 25,000 gallons 385 lbs. *

Hayward TurboCell
T-CELL-3 15,000 gallons 210 lbs. *

Leading Generic Cell
40,000 gallons 145 lbs *

[FONT=&quot]Oversized systems perform better, last longer, and ultimately save money by reducing your pump run times.

Would you you rather run your TCell 9 at 80% with longer run times or 40% or lower with less pump time?

Please advise how everything goes.

[/FONT]