Jan 25, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi y'all,
New pool owner, new to this forum, trying to learn as much about pool chemistry as possible.
Testing water with my newly purchased TF-Pro kit.

After testing my water yesterday and seeing the pool had NO chlorine, I used the pool math app and added 2 gallons of 10% Sodium Hypochlorite.
So my numbers are currently:

FC = 14
CC = 0
CYA > 100 (the black dot disappeared way below the 100cc line)
TA = 170
pH > 8.2 (I think, see attached photo)

I would appreciate any advice on what to do next!

Attachments

• IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 6
S,

Unfortunately, the only way to reduce your CYA is to drain all or some of your water.

Trying to run the pool with a CYA over 100 is not recommended.

No sense adding a bunch of chemicals if you are going to drain anyway.

Do you have a Saltwater pool or a standard Chlorine pool? The two have different recommended CYA levels.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Then you want your CYA to be 40 to 50..

The test maxes out at 100, so you need to do a diluted test.

Run the test with 50% pool water and 50% tap water and then double your reading.

If your CYA was actually at 100, then you'd have to drain half the pool to get down to 50%. The first step is to determine what your actual CYA level is.

Thanks

Jim R.

S,

Then you want your CYA to be 40 to 50..

The test maxes out at 100, so you need to do a diluted test.

Run the test with 50% pool water and 50% tap water and then double your reading.

If your CYA was actually at 100, then you'd have to drain half the pool to get down to 50%. The first step is to determine what your actual CYA level is.

Thanks

Jim R.

Hey Jim,

I ran the CYA test again using 50/50 pool/tap water and got a result of 90ppm 😕
So I need to drain about 2/3 of my pool and refill it with fresh water if my math is correct?

Hey Jim,

I ran the CYA test again using 50/50 pool/tap water and got a result of 90ppm 😕
So I need to drain about 2/3 of my pool and refill it with fresh water if my math is correct?
Maybe a tad more. 2/3 will get you to 60 CYA.

Don't know what type of pool you have, would be safer to do a "no drain water exchange," explained in this article:

When you get a moment, be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment details. See our signatures as examples. Knowing your equipment and stuff can help with replies. Also keep an eye on your local weather. Down here we are expecting storms all week. While fresh water from above is great for our pool (and CYA free), excess ground water can make a pool unstable if drained too much. If you have any questions let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.