Hello and Thanks from a new pool owner!

This morning's FC test results made no sense again (and yet made total sense).

I went to bed with what I read as 11ppm FC and woke up at 17.5. I gained again which isnt' possible. This time I know the AquaSmarte was off.

What I think is happening is that I'm measuring FC a half hour after I add it and I need to wait longer.

Pool Math told me to put in 60oz to get up to SLAM level and I did, half an hour later I still wasn't at SLAM level. I assumed that I misjudged something and just put in the rest of the gallon bottle. Half an hour later FC only came up another 3.5ppm for a total rise of 6ppm whereas a gallon should have gotten me ~9.5ppm.

Having said that - If I really should have had 9.5ppm that still only puts me at 16ppm so I think I also need to go back and verify my calculations. I can't say the strength of the chlorine is lower than expected because I wouldn't be getting higher than expected test results.

Okay, back to the drawing board to review my numbers and tonight I'll give myself a full hour before I test chlorine levels.

I vacuumed to waste again (because the muck went right through the filter and back into the pool).
Have you checked to see if the sand is channeled or a lateral is broken? http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, back to the drawing board to review my numbers and tonight I'll give myself a full hour before I test chlorine levels.
Yep, try the hour. If you don't want to wait, brush the pool and mix it well :smile:

I haven't checked for a broken lateral yet. Thanks for the link, I haven't read through yet, but it looks like a lot of great information. The filter was just installed ~ 3 weeks ago so I had hoped it wasn't an equipment issue. Unfortunately I stepped away for a few minutes while he was getting it set up and when I came back it was all together so if anything looked wierd I missed it. The installer didn't say anything if there was anything wrong with any parts.

I'll need to get a shop vac (I've been meaning to get one anyway...)

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Interesting development.

Water is clear (or at least I don't discern cloudiness - I can easily see to the bottom of the pool) and taking a stroll around the perimeter I don't see any muck on the bottom). I *should* backwash (filter on low speed is currently at ~5psi with a starting point of 2-3psi), however I just did the CYA 1 or 2 days ago and I believe I read that I should avoid backwashing for a week. So, good news, the filter seems to be picking up and holding on to the stuff that was blowing back in to the pool via the return, but the bad news is that it wants to be cleaned but I'm not supposed to for several days yet (???). What's a girl to do? :confused:

Tested chlorine @ 5:45 - FC = 11, CC = 0.5 (it's been cloudy /rainy all day

Tested again at 7:45 to make a decision on whether or not I would dose the pool before locking up.

Results are FC = 10ppm, CC = 0.5ppm so I've had a loss of ~ 7 ppm over the last 12 hours.

Since it's right *at* SLAM level I'm tempted to dose it just to make sure it doesn't fall low overnight (then again, if I'm good it won't fall by much...).

ETA: OCD won out and I added enough chlorine to theoretically boost my FC to 12. I'll test in about half an hour and call it good wherever I am.

I brushed the bottom and along the water line (which is too high because of the rain...maybe I *should* use this opportunity to backwash??). There was a fine dusting of the "muck" along the bottom - I saw it disturbed when I brushed, but there were no islands like I could see before.

ETA 2: FC = 12, CC = 0 Pool Math (and ensuring the water is properly mixed) works!! :D

Last edited:
No FC loss overnight but I still tested 0.5 FC this morning over what I measured last night despite both sweeping and waiting an hour after dosing.

CC was 0 (not even a tinge of pink when I tested for it).

So, I have 16 untouched boxes of chlorine and 1 that I'm a little over half way through. If I don't need to SLAM I'm concerned that I might not get through it all quickly enough (based on the half-life discussions). I'm certainly not wishing for algae but I'd hate to essentially lose chlorine. :-/

FC and Reagents

I'm just getting started and have 2 quick questions.

How concerned should I be about drops (big drops??) in my FC level during the day? My pool gets full sun from around 9am until 6pm - no trees to shade it. Yesterday was the first full sunny day that we've had since I've had my test kit (it's been raining/cloudy the previous few days) and my FC dropped from 14 in the morning before work down to 3.5 when I tested in the evening. Is the gist that it's okay as long as my drop doesn't go below the recommended FC level for my CYA?

Water is clear. FC seems to hold overnight. CC's have been testing at 0 - 0.5.

Second question. When I ordered my test kit I ordered the XL option in preparation for a SLAM. It looks like I won't need to do one now and despite my obsessive testing (learning my pool, gaining confidence in my testing techniques) I'm not so sure that I'll get through all of the extra reagents. Will they still be good next year or should i expect to replace them next season even if I haven't used them up? I say all of this, of course, with the full assumption that I won't have any algae outbreaks between now and the end of the season. :rolleyes::tongue:

Thanks!

Re: FC and Reagents

The pool will be fine as long as the lowest FC level is still at least the minimum for your CYA level. However, losing that much chlorine each day is more than you should be losing. I suspect that your CYA level is too low, but I can't really tell unless you post a full set of water test results.

The reagents should last two years as long as you store them in a cool dark place (but not freezing).

Re: FC and Reagents

Thank you, Jason. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Yeah, my CYA is too low (my story is (with test results) here ). I was at 0 CYA and only estimated a bump up to 20ppm for my non-SLAM which is likely diluted due to the rain we've had (I've had to drain off some of the water because it was getting too high).

Once I figure out where I landed after the adjustment and dilution due to rain I will bump it up again since it doesn't appear that the SLAM is needed.

FYI - this is where I started (so you don't *have* to go to the other post)

CYA = 0
PH = 7.2-ish
TA = 110
FC = 0.5
TC = 0.5
CC = 0
CH = 175

I just wanted to give an update on things.

When last I posted I had a cloudy pool that I was still trying to figure out. As it turned out I did *not* need to (fully?) SLAM my pool as I initially thought. The only downside to that was that I bought 20 gallons of 12.5% in preparation for a SLAM that never exactly happened - I passed OCLT shortly after my postings - so I'm a little nervous about how it will all hold up until I get through it all (I currently have ~13.5 gallons left of the 20).

Anyway - for pics:

when I started on the site (pool had opened clear but quickly turned green prior to this shot):

today:

My numbers hold pretty steady (except for FC, and even that has been much more steady since adding CYA). I have increased my PH and it is currently sitting at 7.5. CYA is only 30 - I believe I shot for 40, but never got there so I may bring that up. Otherwise I'm cruising and never seem to need to get anything to manage my pool. :cry:

That's funny because I was going to tear the pool out when I bought the house because I thought it would be a lot of work. Clearly a SLAM takes some dedication, but this state that I've been in is far from work.

Anyway, just thought I'd say how things turn out (I always wish people came back and say what happened in their situation. Some do but there are a lot that don't... :( ).

Thanks to everyone that commented in my thread and for everyone who shared their stories on the site - it's all been invaluable in making me feel like a know-it-all pool snob rather than totally intimidated and lost on what to do with the giant bucket of water in my back yard. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the update! Pool looks great :goodjob:

See if you can return some of the LQ.
If they don't do refunds, a credit could get you some CYA (wink) pool toys or tools :smile:

I'm guesstimating you'd need about a quart per day to maintain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.