Hello and some advice please

Stgr

Aug 11, 2023
Texas
Hello everyone I’m a first time pool owner and have discovered your very informative forum. I have a somewhat unique pool situation and would appreciate some help.

My pool is 30’ diameter and 5’ deep cement above ground pool. Really it is a pila or open top cistern used for stock water but I want to utilize it as a pool as well. I calculate approximately 26,500 gallons. The existing plumbing is a 2” outlet approximately 10” above ground level through the pool wall (it is plumbed to gravity flow water to several stock troughs) a 2” outlet that is at the bottom of the pool wall which I’ll call the drain and a 2” pipe that comes over the wall on the opposite side of the pool with a float valve(this fills the pool as water is drawn to stock troughs). I would like to be able to plumb a pump and filter from the drain and recirculate that water around to the opposite side of the pool and run pvc pipe over the wall and under water as the return in the same location as the float valve. This is on a rural property and aesthetics are not a major concern.

I will readily admit that I don’t know what I don’t know. That being said the questions I would like help with are as follows;

1. Can turnover be achieved with all 2” plumbing on a 26,500 gallon pool with one outlet and one return without an exorbitant operating cost?

2. Could my gravity flow outlet be a second drain and still gravity flow to the stock troughs?

3. Would adding one or more return runs make this work better?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Hi and welcome to TFP! I would LOVE to see a pic of what you are starting with!

2. Could my gravity flow outlet be a second drain and still gravity flow to the stock troughs?
This one caught my eye. Your pool water will have chlorine in it. That is not to be used to give to animals to drink.

Other than that concern I don't see why you can't do what you want to do.

This one caught my eye. Your pool water will

This one caught my eye. Your pool water will have chlorine in it. That is not to be used to give to animals to drink.

have chlorine in it. That is not to be used to give to animals to drink.

IMG_6184.jpeg
The outlet and drain before the outlet was plumbed.

I have discussed the chlorinated water with my vet and we think we have that issue sorted.