Hello!...and a cleaning system decision question.

Keep in mind that if you go in-floor only, you still have to brush the pool, especially the waterline tile and sides. Robot takes care of it all.

Time to start robot, 1 minute. Time to clean out after use, 5 minutes tops.

I have a Pentair IntelliFlo VS and I run a Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner. I run at 2500rpm (~ 950 W) for the duration of pump-day, ~7hrs/day during hot season and 4hrs/day during winter). The KK gets to all corners of my pool several times per day with no problems at all including wall clImbing. I manually vacuum my pool maybe once per month. Removing and re-installing the cleaner takes a total of 5 to 10 mins depending on if I clean out the inline leaf trap. I have no problem with looking at the KK in my pool.

Suction side cleaner add-on to build cost : ~$300

In-floor system estimated cost by PB : $5000 to $8000

I think the issue here is a lot like liquid chlorine versus SWG. You either pay all of the cost upfront for automation and time savings (in floors and SWGs) or you pay that same amount over many years (manual cleaning and chlorine jug dumping). It's a choice you make.

In-floors do require a more complicated plumbing job which therefore necessitates that you make sure the PB knows what the heck he is doing. A bad install job on the in-floors means years of headaches and regrets. It's hard to screw up a simple vacuum port for suction side cleaners and the plumbing is simpler.

Also, I would vote for the redundant set of standard wall returns as I would feel comfortable having the option of completely isolating the in-floor system should failure occur.

I have seen no up to date analysis of costs associated with running in-floors. Previous estimates all use higher pump speeds to run in-floors which may or may not be the case and would be highly dependent on a good plumbing installation.

Yeah, I think we'd have to net no matter what, but we're okay with that. I think the infloor will cut down on brushing the tanning ledge and steps, too.

that could be true, I forgot about the horizontal surfaces. We have a tanning shelf, steps and 3 swim out/seats that do gather dust. The robot does nothing for those. We usually fan them off while swimming or maybe brush them occasionally when the water is cold.

With my pressure side cleaner I have never needed to vacuum the pool in the 3 years I'v had it, don't own one. I don't have alot of trees near enough to create a big leaf problem, but some get blown in. The skimmer gets most of them but what ever sinks the cleaner gets. It seems like the in-floor can only remove dirt / very small debris that will fit through the main drain cover. I do like the idea of no cleaner with hose in the pool but as was said it only takes a couple min to remove if there are alot of people, if there are few we leave it in. I do need to brush the tanning ledge and steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.